Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Cold, Cravings, etc

This cold weather is making me wish I could hibernate, then wake up on the Kenyan coast on a sunny afternoon....For now, I'll sip my hot lemon tea and hope my voice doesn't give out; I've gotta be taking part in a group thing for class in the AM. It's a group of two 'cause some people dropped the class. It's way easier to coordinate fewer people.

On a different note, dealing with hormonal swings that lead to food cravings at odd hours of the night. Sometimes, I know exactly what I want: the other night it was ice cream. Lucky for me, there's a supermarket really close by. As I was wandering down the aisles, I was kind of suprised how many people were there too. Couldn't decide what flavor I preferred so I picked a couple, dulce de leche and white chocolate raspberry truffle. Then I started having visions of apple pie a la mode. I bought one of those ready-to-bake ones and popped it in the oven as soon as I got home. Warm apple pie and ice cream taste even better in the middle of the night, yum! Other times like tonight, I just nibble a little of everything.

Christmas songs are already being played in stores and I spotted a lady wearing one of those Santa caps. The only decorations that I penda are the lights. End of story.

11 comments:

egm said...

Is that the group that had the obnoxious know-it-all that has been trimmed down to two?

The lights are definitely something else. Yup, the Christmas songs and all are in full swing.

Quintessence said...

Ice-creaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam..nyam Haagen daz dulche de leche has to be the nyamiest ever made (drool)
Went for a loooooooooong ride with a friend the other night and the lights...2die4 man. I reckon thats my fave part of Christmas deco as well...

Juju said...

lol, one of my buddies goes to supermarket in the middle of the night, coz thats when all the single yuppies, what with their busy lifestyles (tsk tsk) have time to shop!!

before leaving the house this morn, I looked at the weather on the comp. I see -4, but feels like -20, I am like wtf!! turns out bro had wekad settings on celsius.... hahaha, sigh of relief! it was only 26 fahreinheir... now there is some warm weather!!!

jamaa and I got into carolling, and will be singing our way into christmas (blush)

Anonymous said...

I am completely bila time for the christmas fever!But come the cold I too get into hibernation mode, I slow down and become grouchy at times.
As for cravings, I have them too; there are times my sweet tooth begins to bite.That is why I usually buy 2 tubs of ice cream to deal with that. I have heard of late night supermarket hook ups, I dont know how true that is.

Girl next door said...

@Egm,
Thankfully not! It's a different class. The obnoxious dude is still the same. Hope I never have to be in another group with him though we're in the same major.

@Quintessence,
That stuff tastes heavenly!
The lights look best at night. Some houses and yards are covered with them.And they even have reindeer and stuff.

@Majonzi,
It's great that supermarkets are open late so you can drop in whenever.I like going when it's not crowded.
It's time to pull out the warm coats and gloves.
Singing is a great talent! (Which I don't possess.)

@Acolyte,
Christmas starts too early around here.
Ice cream is one of the best creations and satisfies a sweet tooth well! I've heard some urban legend about hooking up at the supermarket; ati single people show up there one evening a week. Don't know anyone who's done it.

Kabinti said...

absolutely looooooooooove dulce de leche!!! reiterate what quint said about Haagen D. Hot apple pie with vanilla icecream is also to die for!

Samborera said...

Well, there are no sunny afternoons on the Kenyan coast at the moment. We're having a mini El Nino, apparently. Torrents and floods. Washed away roads and bridges. But I'd still rather be in the tropics.

Klara said...

I love Ice cream too & juz readin this makes me wanna...
I feel like it's 2 early for this XMAS euporia why dont guys juzz relax & wait for Jamhuri Kwanza & then star

Girl next door said...

@Kabinti,
Apple pie and ice cream is one of my fave desserts:)

@Samborera,
Pole for the people who live at the coast; wonder what it will be like when I visit. Also heard there's flooding in Nyanza. No end to natural disasters.

@Kiara,
Ice cream is delicious anytime.
It is too damn early for Christmas!

egm said...

Talking of being early for Christmas, they had the tree lighting ceremony yesterday in Boston. Let the season's madness begin!

Girl next door said...

I actually like the look of white lights on trees. Now all the ads will be telling us to buy stuff to put underneath the tree.