Sunday, November 26, 2006

Looks and a Legacy

The bug is going around and it's hard to resist: the drama on Grey's Anatomy is rather entertaining. But please move over McDreamy, the only man worth checking out Isaiah Washington aka Dr. Preston Burke. This man is hot! I'm so not into McDreamy types --heartbreakers who think they can get away with everything by virtue of their looks.

There's no denying that looks do matter: we all make snap judgements about people just by glancing at them. Sites like Hot or Not are based on this idea. But we conclude so much beyond attractiveness in a few seconds, you can guess economic status, religion, career, lifestyle, or age --which may or may not be accurate. I notice how some people react to me differently when I have different hairdos. When I twisted my fro and was carrying a huge bag with stationary supplies downtown, I was referred to as "Madam artist" (which I take as a compliment even though I'm not one). There's a high school close to my place so when I'm carrying my backpack going to class some people think I'm in high school. I was there over 5 years ago and wouldn't go back. I'm one of the few people who looks forward to looking and growing older. Youth is so overrated.

With some of the recent cases ranging from Dr. Ngugi wa Thiong'o's experience at Hotel Vitale,this Standard commentary, the Iranian-American student tasered at UCLA, an Afghani woman wearing a hijab shot to death in Fremont in front of her 3yr old kid, and the more recent shooting in NYC of a groom right before his wedding, it's clear that appearance will subject one to harrassment and even death. Very tragic.

But there are some people whose ideas unite many: one such person is Bob Marley. I have this Bob Marley t-shirt and everytime I wear it random people smile, say 'peace', and nod when I walk by. Marley has inspired masses around the world and left a powerful legacy.

P.S.--I'm tuned into the case of the Kenyan students arrested for drug possession in Malaysia. The worst case scenario is scary. If OJ can be declared innocent of muder, then write a book "If I Did It" I don't know if there's any justice in this world.

10 comments:

Acolyte said...

One thing I do agree with is that racism is alive and well in the world whether we like it or not. That is why I am never going to Russia, I dont have a deathwish!White priviledge is here for a long time to go, if you have white skin and are male alot of doors open for you.
But looks do matter, to be honest Wa Thiongo looks like a member of mungiki/hobo whenever I see him; it is because of that I understand a white dude dismissing him even though it isnt fair at all. That is another reason I am staying in the non profit field so I dont have to wear a tie and shave my locks.
As for the Kenyan students, I do hope it is a case of bad company and not them actually trying to be "hard".

Juju said...

ditto aco! Also regardless of race, looks do matter!! Even back home, jamaas with messy dreds (well, even non-messy ones) have always been frowned on. It is easier for the human eye to judge on that one can see immediately... . My latest pet peeve is on people's sexuality... "oh, he dresses and talks so gay." (this on a jamaa with style, a jamaa wearing well-fitting clad, ala!) "oh that music so belongs to a gay club."

egm said...

Just yesterday I was talking to my mother, recounting to her how a friend had his locks cut off by his mother in a very funny (not for him) incident. And how here locks are not an indicator of hooliganism to the general public as they are back home. Looks matter a huge deal! Like you Aco, I am glad I work in an industry where I don't have to dress a certain way with suit and tie.

As for the racism bit, like you and Russia, one country I am never setting foot on is Thailand. A friend had a very interesting three days there, with obvious in-your-face racism meted out to him and two of his friends he was travelling with. And now that Donje's daughter is in this mess in Malaysia makes it doubly bad for her being a black person.

Anonymous said...

Donde's daughter....the worst case scenario is something that is waaaay too much. can't stop thinking bout it....Dr. Burke....mmmm....thank you he is lush like a nonsense!!! looks as much as it is sooo wrong, they still make an impact. like aco said, if you're white and male, open go the doors....sad world we live in.

POTASH said...

Aki those students. Can you imagine being executed for swinging some dope. Ish crazy shit no. But the law is the law.. and teh law is an arse. Hope they walk- innocent or guilty!

Girl next door said...

@Acolyte,
Staying safe is a priority.
I believe that after achieving what Ngugi wa Thiong'o has, he's exempt from some rules. Maybe it's his form of protest.
It's great to have the freedom to maintain your individual look.
Hope the student get a break 'cause it could happen to anyone.

@Majonzi,
Oh yeah, locs are seen as rebellious. The word 'gay' is used to describe everything these days. It's too much!

@Egm,
Ati his mother cut them off? That must have been painful.
Too bad Thailand isn't the paradise it claims to be. And they have such good food. I didn't know Kenyans went to school in Malaysia. Is there any country that doesn't have Kenyan students?

@Kipepeo,
Don't know how those girls are dealing with this disaster.
Got a pic of Burke as my screensaver, eye candy!
The priviledged ones complain too, most don't realize what everyone else goes through. Robert Jensen from UT Austin is an exception; he's written a book on White Priviledge.

@Potash,
The punishment is too extreme and won't make the world a safer place. Being a foreigner is always a disadvantage. Definitely hope they walk.

Tim 'Gonzo' Gordon said...

Your comment on Bob Marley caught my eye. I have a half dozen Marley shirts (not to mention a Marley tattoo) and I get a similar reaction.

Looks count in today's society, whether we like it or not. Good looking (and taller) people are generally more successful, get the promotions, higher paying jobs, etc.

While race may come into play in many situations, it must be stated that education is a critical factor in people moving forward. I am white and male but find many avenues closed because I only went to two years of college and chose a career (radio) where education was a secondary consideration - talent was more important. However, I feel that is an exception to the rule.

I continually educate myself so that more opportunities are available - and anyone should do that, no matter what color or background.

Girl next door said...

@Tim,
Thanks for stopping by. Marley fans are welcome anytime. A Marley tatoo is really cool!

Looks do put some people way ahead of the rest. Education is definitely very critical today and gives people many advantages. It brings respect, a wider range of options, and knowledge. A college education is standard in a lot of entry-level jobs. When you have certain skills and talents, people will have to recognize them even though you're a different race.

I realized the need for continual education and even though it's hard--I'm back in school. I keep reminding myself why it's important.

Girl in the Meadow said...

How coincidental coz i wrote somethin similar.
I love to look at MC Dreamy types but i know they are emotional fuckwitts most of the time. They think the world is meant to stop at their feet. Ooh how wrong they should be proved!

The Kenyan students have just been caught in plain naivety.

Girl next door said...

@Shiroh,
oh yeah, 'emotional fuckwits' is a great description for Mcdreamy types! Not worth it.

Naivete has led many into messed up situations. Let's see what happens next.