Thursday, November 16, 2006

Membership

I finished reading "The Mayor of Casterbridge" yesterday. It's an excellent book!

I should be working on my research paper and other assignments. At Ieast I got caught up with some school work today when I went to the local library. I applied for a library card there, then I realized now I have membership at 4 different libraries: my school, a nearby university, the city where I used to live, and where I live now. I'm very impressed with the collections they have. Everything is so efficient: you can go online and put a book or movie on hold then just pick it up. Technology is a wonderful tool. In fact I'm getting some of my school books from the library. One of my classes has about 5 or 6 books and we used some of them for only 3 weeks so what's the point in buying all of them? There's only one book I want to keep. I realize that every book has something valuable, but I wonder how often some teachers revise their book lists. I like it when they differentiate between required and supplemental reading 'cause textbooks cost a fortune. And publishers always unleash a new edition every year with new pictures or a CD-ROM. (I rarely used any of the CDs that came with my books.) In fact, I had to buy one of my policy books straight from the publisher because that new edition wasn't widely available and we're barely using the book! At least it will be in great condition if I decide to auction it off (half.com and Amazon are my top sites). It's pointless to sell books back to the bookstore 'cause they give you so little money back. It's better to keep it, give it away, or sell it to a student.

Talking of memberships, last week I went to check out a local gym where some of my buddies work out. It's a cool gym and has a variety of exercise options from yoga and dance classes, to the requisite treadmills and weight-lifting equipment. I'd like to be much stronger and more muscular (like the Williams sisters). The dude who took me on the tour was so fine! And gay. In the end, I wasn't convinced the membership was worth the fees 'cause I won't use it enough. Of course, when they advertise they quote a really low price*(there's usually a star next to it). To get the deal you have to sign a contract. I don't like contracts. I'll probably take a PE class at school next sem. Haven't even been inside the gym yet. Might as well use it 'cause it's paid for.

7 comments:

egm said...

Ah, the dark world of text books. I worked at a bookstore during my time in college, and that provided for interesting moments, with people always asking why the books were so expensive, and why they got back peanuts when selling them back. Plenty of shoot the messenger! I built up my huge book collection at this time, since some students would opt to throw their books into a bin rather than keep them. You could get some really great books there!

As for gym membership, use your school gym to the max. That's the one regret I have in that I rarely used the gym at school, a superb one at that. And it was all a part of the tuition.

Princess said...

I love libraries and bookstores. These days libraries are truly moving with the times..it is great..I love efficiency.

I agree with egm..utilize your school gym rather than being stuck in a contract. You could also take some fun classes like dance classes at school.

Anonymous said...

The mayor of casterbridge is a good read - have re-read too!! You might want to try Thomas Hardy's other books
Jude the obscure
Tess of the d'Ubervilles
Far from the madding crowd
And to think that he wrote all this in the 1880's! I find his writing illustrating the women characters very well.

Anonymous said...

That is a good book! I liked it.I like being able to borrow books throughout the library system all over the state.
When it comes to books I never buy new editions because there is never a big change year after year; it is all about the money.
For all these years I have been enjoying the uni gym, I am not looking forward to someone trying to lock me down in a long term contract.

Girl next door said...

@Egm,
Tempers do run high in bookstores esp. at the beginning of the semester. Students do get ripped off. Did you just mention a huge book collection? We're buddies, right? =)
I'll go for the school gym.

@Princess,
I'm glad libraries are modern.
Taking a dance class is a great idea, I'll look into it.

@Anon,
Thanks for the suggestions. I look forward to reading them. It's amazing that stories written over a century ago are so relevant today. I guess human nature is constant through the ages.

@Acolyte,
I hear there's even a movie, but the book is always better.
New editions just have more pictures, otherwise little difference. There are few subjects where the knowledge would change drastically in a year.

The school gym is definitely the best option.

egm said...

We sure are gnd :) Let me know when you want to come over and browse through my books!

Still reading Pedagogy?

Girl next door said...

@Egm,
When I visit your part of the world, I'll take up that offer. I've been going slow with "Pedagogy", still on the 1st chapter.