Sunday, November 12, 2006

102!

This is my 102nd post and it's dedicated to my grandfather who is 102 years old.

Time is a fluid concept: it can rush by, slow down to a trickle, or freeze depending on what activity you're doing. When you're having a good time, it's gone just like that. But when you're lining up at the post office, sitting in your doctor's waiting room, or suffering through a boring lecture/sermon time crawls. Doesn't matter how many times you glance at your watch. There's a chapter in the Bible (Ecclesiastes 3) saying there's a time for everything. (See, you can learn a lot from a boring sermon!) And in that same spirit, I decided that it's time to go home.

I am soooo excited because I AM GOING HOME FOR A VISIT AT THE END OF THE YEAR!!

Got the ticket last month through STA Travel, I highly recommend them. Great service plus they have student and youth discounts. I want to share the info 'cause when I asked some people where they get their tickets they were very vague mpaka I was wondering why that information was classified. You'd think I was asking for someone to buy me a ticket or give me the number of their drug dealer. One dude was very helpful and gave me contacts for his travel agent but I decided to go with STA's deal.

This is one of those things I find very frustrating, when people have certain knowledge but they guard it so closely and refuse to share it though there's nothing to lose. I've encountered this attitude from fellow countrymen multiple times during my stay in this country. By no means is one person obligated to hold another's hand and guide them through the most mundane daily activities. And yet, some people don't even want to share the most basic information. Or worse, they give bad advice as they mumble under their breath that they suffered so everyone else should also suffer. Excuse me? What kind of warped logic is that? But as capable adults, we find other reliable resources and move on. Funny how some people are so willing to give advice when it's needed the least, doling it out in a very patronising manner. It annoys me to have someone say long after the fact "You could have done this, or gone there." Well, I didn't. I can't go back in time. I did something else, and I will live with my choices proudly. I don't make decisions by accident, it takes a lot of thought and extensive planning on my part because I alone know my circumstances, abilities, and resources. I don't give advice: however, I willingly share my experiences, opinions, and any knowledge I have. And I've also learned there are times when I have to admit "I don't know."

Getting back to the main topic of going home, I have so many emotions and thoughts going through my head. I'm thinking back on the last few years. I'm thinking of life at home and all the changes that took place in my absence. How I've changed. What hasn't changed. I'm thinking of my family: most important are my parents who sacrifice and support us endlessly. And my numerous relatives. I laugh when people ask how many relaz I have. There's my 102 year old grandfather and my new baby cousin. Being away from home is like missing out on chapters of life; there have been deaths, births, weddings and many other events that I wasn't part of and yet the course of my life is so closely intertwined with them. While we can look back on the past, bonds are strengthened by undergoing new experiences together. I went back to my first post and I'm fulfilling most of my New Year's resolutions. I can remain motivated when I know there's a reward at the end. Home at last!

16 comments:

Girl in the Meadow said...

Ooh Happy to your grandpa. Living on..sure signs for your strong genes.

but guys abroad are tight with info. very few would even tell you where they work or sorts or how they got things done.

Wella, all that nyama choma is waiting for you na fombe, royco na kila kitu ya nyumbani.

Kama sijasahau, chai ya ketepa, mandizi ya ukweli (wacha hiyo ya grafting),

He h e he

Anyway kuja nyumbani

eddiie said...

This is my 102nd post and it's dedicated to my grandfather who is 102 years old.......

That is a serious milestone...keep it kean coz he might enter the G-BOOK of records...keep counting and how long you have come....

Kepp blogging

egm said...

Good for you! I'm well on my way to the century mark :) As for your grandfather, that's great his 102 years. I was very fortunate to see my maternal grandfather a month before he died at the age of 104. I hadn't seen him in almost 8 years since I came to the states, and apparently he wanted to see me before he passed away. So it was a blessing to have had that one last chance to be with him.

As for Kenyans and info, I find that just as strange as you, why things that should be public info is held in tightest secrecy. Totally warped that logic of you suffering cause they did.

When was the last time you were home? You sound like you've been away a while. I was last home in January, but even then, I am just as excited about going in 4 weeks as I would have been had I not been home in years. There's something about going home that makes you just want to dance and shout and tell the whole world that you are doing so. As Shiroh says, that nyam chom and ungrafted ndizis among other avrikan derekacays shall be consumed in plenty!

Quintessence said...

WOW 102...gooooo grandpa
doll i FEEL you on the information hoarding and oft wonder why its so rampant with our people...

Kabinti said...

maybe there will be a KBW meetup for the winter bunnies?????? my excitement about going home has poad kidogo lakini i was bouncing off walls when i got my ticket!!! HB to your granpappy!

Acolyte said...

Good to hear your gramps is doing well at 102. 400 and something more posts to go and you will be at my level!
Lucky you! I would give anything to go home for christmas!
Now as usual you know I dont give up a chance to rip into raia. Peeps here are so stingy with info it hurts. At least I have fam to help me out otherwise it would have been harder for me.At times I want to slap peeps silly but instead I just stay away from such peeps.
I am sure going home will be a ball.It's great to be somewhere you aren't a visitor!

Princess said...

Wow..102? That is awesome!! Have a blast when you go home..there is nothing like being home with family..especially around the holidays.

Girl next door said...

@Shiroh,
Hope I've inherited some of those genes although I can't picture myself getting that old.
All that good food! I'm getting hungry just thinking about it.

@Eddie,
It's amazing to know all that my grandpa has lived through.
Blogging is fun=)

@Egm,
It's definitely a blessing that you were able to see your grandfather before he died.

It's like people think that when they share info with you, then it will reduce their own knowledge or take something away from them even though it's something very general.

I haven't been home since I came to the U.S. over 5 yrs ago. It makes me feel old! I am looking forward to all that good food.

@Quintessence,
It's strange behavior. If we could share around the info we'd all help each other.

@Kabinti,
Glad we can share that excitement of going home.I'd like to attend a KBW meetup for sure.It will take some planning coz I don't live in Nairobi.

@Acolyte,
One of these fine days, I may get to your level.
I am lucky to go home.But I won't leave till after Christmas.

I used to be rather naive then I discovered people don't share info unless you're related or from the same tribe(that's a whole other topic). I have very few relaz here, and majority of my tribesmen reside in another state. I've learned who's reliable and who to stay away from. And become very independent.
I'll be getting a break from constantly spelling my last name, among other things=)

@Princess,
Thanks! I intend to enjoy every minute to the fullest!

egm said...

That's a long time away! I do have a friend who was home in March this year for the first time since we first got here in '96. It was a completely new country to him, having even to learn how to count the money. Such was the change.

Going after Christmas? I couldn't wait that long! I had to go as soon as I could, which translates to the earliest in December I could take off and still have enough vacation days to cover the time.

Girl next door said...

@Egm,
I never thought I'd be away that long but stuff happens. Luckily, I've seen my parents and a few relaz during my stay here.

I have to work part of the holiday and I wanted to have enough time off, so I had to sacrifice Christmas. The countdown has started!

Samborera said...

How do you get a count of your posts. I know I've put in my fair share lakini 102 ni mingi.

Good luck to you and I hope your trip home turns out ok.

Girl next door said...

@Samborera,
the no. is on the dashboard when you log into blogger.
Thanks!

Samborera said...

Why did I never notice that. It says 478 on Introverted. But we're like 10 guys there. It's a lot more difficult to keep it going when you're doing it all alone. Any idea when you'll be going home.

Girl next door said...

@Samborera,
More people= more brilliant ideas! It gives the blog more variety when there are different voices. I'm going home right after Christmas. I keep looking at my ticket to remind myself that it's real.

Samborera said...

I agree. More flavour is definitely a good thing.
I guess you'll have really happy holidays then.

Girl next door said...

@Samborera,
Yes, I plan to have a really great holiday (gotta work as much as I can till then). Hope you have a happy holiday too.