Sunday, November 26, 2006

In Da Club

Clubbing just isn't my scene anymore--it makes me feel old to say that. There was a time (esp. when I was underage) when I was so eager to go out all the time. I'd go through the hassle of borrowing somebody else's ID and going great distances to club. What made it really fun was obviously the crew I was hanging out with. And seeing all the outrageous things that happen inside. We went to some fun places, but at times we'd end up at a more calm place so we'd liven it up. We were determined to have fun, so we did. It was all so exciting!

These days I'm irritated at the thought of lining up, paying a cover charge, battling a crowd for a fucking drink, and just when I'm finally having fun, the lights are turned on and we're chased out. Some clubs get off on being "exclusive" so they can hold you hostage on the sidewalk 'cause they know you're dying to enter. As you walk in, the bouncer at the door acts like they just opened the pearly gates. If it's a half decent place, there will be a crowd so you'll need to avoid stabbing someone's foot with your high heeled boots and avoid that unsteady chic walking by barely balancing her martini. Sometimes, the music is worth it but why do DJs play a hit and when you're on the dance floor they suddenly cut it short, talk over it, or start playing a totally different kind of song that interrupts the flow? Let's say you just got your beverage before last call, and as you're sipping your poison of choice, they start yelling out that you should gulp it down soon. All of a sudden, the bright lights flash on and those goons start walking around urging you to finish and get the hell out. They don't care if you've been there less than an hour 'cause they have to clear the place and shut down. Step outside and there are cops hovering in the area (which is a great idea in some places 'cause this is when crazy things happen). This is when it helps to have a friend who likes going out but doesn't drink so you know they'll take you home safely. That's what matters.

5 comments:

Acolyte said...

Clubbing just isnt my thing at all! I do go for the token Kenyan gig once in a while but that's all. Unlike my sis and her pals I will not line up so as to be told if I can give my money or not.
I can hear all the music I want at home and I find it easier to meet new people outside the clubs.
Clubbing means jack to me and my fave women are those who are bila time for it, pole but that's just how I feel about it.The less time spent in the club the better!
ps:As regards your comment in my last post regarding independant women and men you need to read the archived article in the Best of and you will know why men are bila time for most "independant" women.

egm said...

I am a certified bona-fide non-clubber, that's for sure! This, after numerous occasions of trying to do it, ending up with nothing but frustration galore. Like Aco, I'd much rather listen to my music at home. Or at a house bash.

Girl next door said...

@Acolyte,
Clubbing is over-hyped.Kenyan events are fun to attend once in a while as you said. We definitely agree on this! It is so much nicer to listen to you whatever you want.

-I'll read the archived post.

@Egm,
So I'm not the only one. Relieved to know that. There are times when I'm thinking "what the hell brought me here?" Only if there's a buddy in town or it's a birthday then I'll go, otherwise...I penda house bashes too!

Quintessence said...

I feel you on clubbing man...with all the txgvng hopla in Atl it took every ounce of my being to finally go out sunday and brief as it was twas seeminly tedious...i'd rather dance the night away at home man!

Girl next door said...

@Quintessence,
I hear ATL gets really crazy--I'll have to see it for myself sometime; it takes a lot of energy to go clubbing.