Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Relationships

"Complicated" Relationships

So, what's your story?
I'm seeing this guy...
Is he your boyfriend?
Well, it's complicated...

It's complicated? Since when did that become the standard answer to define one's relationship? Thanks to Facebook's introduction of the "complicated" relationship status last year, "complicated" relationships have been blossoming nationwide. Friends with benefits are benefiting greatly from this new classification of hookup buddy and I don't see it decreasing anytime soon.

An excerpt from the Free Magazine from Penn State, "Odds & Ends--What's Hot" Fall 2006 by Lauren Bootier

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

madam , cause it IS complicated. You never break-up, its make up to break up to make up....

Juju said...

amusing isnt it? Facebook, I mean! Newsfeed lets me know as soon as somone's relationship status changes :)

Girl next door said...

@Anon,
I'm with you on that! Relationships are never simple. Break-up, make-out, make-up=) Distance can often eliminate the cycle.

@Majonzi,
I'm not on Facebook yet. But it's brilliant!

Acolyte said...

Ati you are not on facebook?! Kwani you live under a rock?!
I too am sliding into the "it's complicated category" I will blog about it one of these fine days.

egm said...

Ah, Facebook. The only reason I joined it is a request I got from someone I knew from before, then promplty forgot it existed for two years until I got a "poke" a couple of months ago. I had to reset my password that I had forgotten! Ati it let's you know if a relationship status has changed? Yaani everything is becoming computerized now, down to the very littlest of human interaction!

As for complicated relationships, like GND's response to anon, whoever said relationships were simple in the first place? Anyway, happy relating!

Girl next door said...

@Acolyte,
Don't know which universe I've been in....I'll be eagerly waiting for your 'complicated' post.

@Egm,
Everything really is online.

It's great to have a word that can sum up a variety of relationships esp. when you're trying to explain it to other people. Just had a conversation about this last weekend.

Anonymous said...

Just a question....are you arguing her point? She said complicated relationships were the new "hot" thing...what's the point in excerpting the mag??