Thursday, November 23, 2006

"No Thanks..."

No Thanks to Thanksgiving
by Robert Jensen, Journalism Professor at University of Texas at Austin

[One indication of moral progress in the United States would be the replacement of Thanksgiving Day and its self-indulgent family feasting with a National Day of Atonement accompanied by a self-reflective collective fasting.

In fact, indigenous people have offered such a model; since 1970 they have marked the fourth Thursday of November as a Day of Mourning in a spiritual/political ceremony on Coles Hill overlooking Plymouth Rock, Massachusetts, one of the early sites of the European invasion of the Americas.]

You can read the rest of the article here



I've learned a lot of history lately that has changed my perspective on some issues and to quote a statement from one of my papers: "After reading about the murder and near-extermination of the Indians, I question the very celebration of Thanksgiving." So, we cannot celebrate an occasion without giving genuine consideration to the native inhabitants of this land from which we earn our living.

With all that said, I do not oppose a day off with families and friends (even strangers) gathering to share a good meal and give thanks for whatever they have. I do not oppose the generosity and concern that people have for those in their communities who need a helping hand to survive. If anything, Thanksgiving seems to be more revered around here than Christmas (which is mostly about buying stuff). I attended a religious program at a local church. It was an amazing experience for several reasons:
--for one, I haven't been in church for well over a year (which may not seem like a big deal to some but I spent 91% of my life centered around church and religion)
--the minister of the church was a woman. She was very distinguished in her cleric collar.
--the congregation had people of different races and ages from toddlers, to grandmothers, and young people. So many churches are still segregated and I wonder if faith can't bring people together, what will?
--the music was beautiful; there was one encouraging song urging us to persevere whatever hardship we may face and it was just what I needed to hear.

I am thankful for the important people in my life and whatever I have. Anybody out there travelling, have a safe trip.

2 comments:

egm said...

Injustice shouldn't indeed be celebrated. If that is the focus people have of the holiday, then I agree with RJ. However, as you put it, TG is more for family and friends to come together and just reminisce over the past year, appreciating all that has happened during that time period. And as we celebrate this, we should also remember those less fortunate who don't have much to be thankful for, and if possible invite them to join us in the festivities, or at the very least spend sometime with them.

How right you are about this holiday holding much more water conceptually for the Americans than does Christmas, which is nothing but one humongous shopping spree. The only thing that links the two together is Black Friday.

Have yourself a happy Thanksgiving!

Girl next door said...

The origins of the day lead us to the atrocious injustices committed so knowing about them helps us keep things in perspective--esp. as injustices continue.

I never heard of the term 'Black Friday' before!

Happy TG!