Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Please hide them!

Last night, I broke a wine glass. Not big news in my digz as I hold the title of 'most likely to break something--anything!' But why did it have to be one of the new glasses I just bought last week? There comes a point in life when you look in your kitchen cupboard and find it wanting...regularly drinking wine out of styrofoam or plastic cups becomes a thing of the past. Even mango juice tastes better when served in a pretty glass. And going on a wine-tasting expedition or having a drink in a fancy restaurant will teach you a thing or two about how to serve wine. So, a trip to Crate and Barrel was the next step. It was my very first. I'm not the kind of person who'll usually notice details about dishes; I'm more about function--but there is a difference about eating a meal out of a plastic or metal bakuli while sipping tea from a glass (come on, who hasn't done this?) and eating off chinaware while sipping a cold drink from a sparkling stemmed glass. Oh well, the sad remains of that glass are now in the trash. The cool thing about being a grown-up is that nobody will yell at you for breaking things. I'm responsible for destroying enough of my parents beautiful dinnerware (wedding gifts perhaps?), but they love me anyway. So if anybody ever invites me for a meal, hide all the nice/expensive glasses and plates from me!

3 comments:

egm said...

Functionality over aesthetics has been my motto on many things I get. But like you say, at times the aesthetics makes the functionality that much sweeter! I don't own much that is breakable, so I guess I don't have to fear you breaking anything if you visit.

Anonymous said...

If you're ever around I might have to pull out the old serve-you-wali-on-a-bananaleaf routine....Ha! Break that!

Wait... where the heck I'm finding a banana plant out here?

Girl next door said...

@ egm,
in that case, I'd feel very comfortable if I visited=)
@ makanga,
I like that idea of the banana leaf--unbreakable, environmentally friendly. But, as you pointed out, you need the plant!