Monday, August 21, 2006

Books, Birth, and Murder.

I'm currently engrossed in John Grisham's "The Broker". It's fast-paced and similar to his earlier bestsellers. Before that I read "Plain Jane" by Laurien Gardner, a tale about Jane Seymour and King Henry VIII, that famous English monarch who couldn't stop getting married. He executed 2 of his 6 wives. One of them was 30 years younger than him. Queen Jane was #3 and died a few weeks after giving birth.

Talking of giving birth, have you ever listened to new mothers share all the details of their gruesome ordeal? I understand that it is a life-changing and (usually) positive experience despite the 20 or 30-something hours of labor that new moms routinely endure. Two chics were saying that they're into the natural way, no drugs involved. OK... My view is "drugs are good! There's a reason epidurals were invented, and you can always elect to have a C-section." Anyway, I usually steer clear of this kind of talk coz I feel that I have little to contribute.

There's so much going on in the world from gangsters attacking the Russian diplomat in Kenya, airline security alerts, conflicts in the Congo & Middle East, to the recent spotlight on the JonBenet Ramsey murder case. That Karr dude is weird. The whole affair is suspicious and tragic. Now, seeing a very young child wearing make-up and parading in adult-style clothing is very strange. I think child beauty pageants should be done away with.

6 comments:

egm said...

I am behind on my reading. I should get back on that pronto! After years of being engrossed in fiction, I now go for non-fiction. I started The Road less Travelled by Scott Peck, and I need to get back on the program and finish it. Occasionally I'll pick up a fiction book. What I don't like about fiction is that after the first two books, I pick on the author's style, and then all his/her other books become too predictable to enjoy.

Ah, giving birth. A friend recently shared his experiences as he witnessed his wife giving birth. 6 hours of labour. All other details were TMI. So like you I just kept quiet with nothing to contribute.

True, theres plenty to keep the news folks busy. Security in Kenya? Maybe now that the high and mighty of society are facing what you and I face shall we see action. But then again, I wouldn't hold my breathe.

Yup, Karr is one strange fellow. Anytime he is shown on the tv in the cafeteria at work, everyone says the same thing. Those eyes of his show there is plenty in him you probably don't want to find out.

And I, as do all my colleagues at work, agree that child beauty pagaents are harmful to the children involved, and should be abolished. Let the children be children!

Anonymous said...

I find it amazing how someone can use the word engrossed and John Grisham in the same sentence.His books are so pedestrian and transparent!If you want real legal novels start with John Tanenbaum (may have that first name wrong) and Scott Turrow.
But Plain Jane seems like a nice book.
As for giving birth, I dont intend to father any kids at all!So that is something I will never have to see.
I think I have to get hold of the story of the Russian diplomat, I hope that leads to changes within the police force.
Child beauty pageants are just a way for adults to live out their twisted fantasies!

Girl next door said...

@ egm,
It's true that most fiction authors stick to one style--I actually like that because I know exactly what I'm getting. After all those hours of labor, it's no wonder mothers always remind people what they went through.
True that security suddenly gets attention when the leaders are victims--and they have more resources than regular people like us.
It's scary to think parents left their kids under Karr's supervision; young kids should be protected from the dangers of the adult world .

@ acolyte,
I like simple, predictable entertainment when reading for relaxation and Grisham delivers that.
The police force is in need of a drastic overhaul like our system of govt. Let's see if anything comes out of the investigations. Major news networks around the world are unleashing the story. Now, there'll be even more travel advisories placed on Kenya.
When parents insist on projecting their sick fantasies on their kids, disaster follows.

Omar Basawad said...

The last of John Grisham's books I read, were: 'The Brethren' and 'The Summons'; I immensely enjoyed both!

I know, Grisham's books are plain simple, but still engrossing! For plain fun - I read Grisham; still, for real serious reading for thrills, nothing, yet, beats a Raymond Chandler or an Agatha Christie book! One easily forgets a Grisham novel, but Chandler and Christie are always unforgetable!

Girl next door said...

@ Omar,
Sounds like we like the same books, though I've never read Chandler. Agatha Christie was classic when I was growin up.

Anonymous said...

@omar
so true - Agatha Christie's are unforgettable. I read 'Curtain' over 15 years ago, n it's still crystal clear in my mind.