Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Moving

Moving is a bitch.
We've all been through it. First, you start out with a long list of requirements. Then go out on the exciting search for apartments. Depending on the budget, area, and rental market, you may have to adjust some requirements. It's really stressful! Do you pay more for convenience and a quicker commute? Or opt for affordability further out? The nice neighborhoods will always cost more. Is it worth it saving $$ to live in a sketchy area (even if it's temporary)? The idea of living in a high-crime area that's regularly featured in the news is not appealing at all. On the other hand, paying a fortune just because a celeb and some millionares live in the area code isn't practical. The hunt is on....

School has started, and I have a crush on one of my teachers! He's young, Latin, and very eloquent. It's a history/ethnic studies class. I got into class late today and it was so full that some of us were standing in the back. I'm not even registered for it, still on the waiting list. Well, I hope to get in 'cause it seems very interesting.

I went back to my first post of the year dated January 2nd and I'm glad to say that I am fulfilling some of my resolutions. Right now I'm focusing on getting a ticket home for Christmas. Haven't been home in years and I've vowed that I need to go this Christmas. So I've gotta make the sacrifices and hope it works out.

3 comments:

Acolyte said...

Do make sure you read my moving post once again.I'm sure you'll need it.
At least you live in an area where there are more apartments than people.Try living in a college town where there isnt too much affordable housing available!
As for your crush.He seems to have many admirers or is a good teacher hence the standing room only.
Good to see you are doing well with the resolutions!

egm said...

Moving is indeed a pain. And yet I think I have moved more times than I care to count within the past 5 years! I think I am fine now with where I am. It's right in the middle of my work place and Boston. I'm not far from the city, so if need be I can go in and enjoy myelf. But I'm far enough outside it that I don't have to deal with all the noise and headaches that comes with city living. And it's relatively inexpensive. And a very safe neighbourhood. And best of all, the bus stops just a few feet away. And it runs till 1am, so in that regards I'm all set. All the best looking for something that's within your budget and comfort levels.

I am still debating on whether to take classes or not. I have two weeks to make a decision. This whole work full time then go for evening classes just isn't jiving well for me. Having been out of school for sometime now makes it even harder to work up that motivation!

Good that you've kept your resolutions. I really don't make any myself. I figure if I need to do something, I just do it. Best example is drinking soda. One day in February I decided I wasn't going to take any more of it. Since then, I think I have had only a sip of sprite. Otherwise it's just been water, juice or gatorade.

I, too, would love to go home this Dec. Trying not to use up my vacation days so I can do that. And also shopping around for tickets. I hope I get a deal as sweet as I did last year.

Girl next door said...

@ Acolyte,
I'll read your post. Luckily, I saw a couple of great apartments today so I'll go with one or the other. My crush is quite the intellectual (PhD from Berkeley), a social activist, and very personable--students seem to like him.

@ Egm,
I'm glad you feel my pain. Sounds like your living situation is ideal. I like stability--can't wait for the day I own a house and I can keep my crap there forever.
Good luck deciding about school. It would be hard to work all day then go to class. I've decided to cut back on work and focus on the studies.
Hope we both get deals on tickets home for Christmas!