Sunday, August 20, 2006

Food = Pleasure

There are few genuine pleasures in this world like coming home to a hot meal. Food is more than calories and a pyramid; it's also about the time, skill, and love that went into its preparation. Many of us will instantly think of our mothers when we think of enjoying a delicious, delectable meal. Since I'm so far from home, I often think of my talented sibling whose culinary skills have produced countless fingerlicking, satisfying meals. Thanks D! There are so many cultural beliefs surrounding food and many are rooted in practicality. In most urban areas around the world, there's a wide variety of international cuisine to sample. One of my favorite foods from home is ugali ya wimbi. At my digz, we've been considering becoming vegetarian or even just eating organic food for health reasons. I'm not ready to make drastic changes yet but will try to change some habits.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sembe wa wimbi!! With the kundes and nyaks to boot or mrenda, since wimbi in the ugali format was traditionally a Western Kenya thing.

That is the food of titans. Thanks a lot, you've got the boy feenin....

Anonymous said...

I do like good food too especially what we used to make back home.All those veggies and fresh meat!I cant wait to get to ATL and sample all those different cuisines!
Due to unending ugali meals I can only eat ugali if there is a stunning side dish otherwise I dont touch it at all, I would rather githeri any day with a banana for flavour!Yum Yum!

egm said...

Ah, good food will always be welcome infront of me. Lakini the way I penda my nyama, I don't see myself becoming vegeterian without direct orders from the doctor.

A friend who was recently visiting from home decided she would go vegeterian while here since she couldn't stand the meat. The taste just put her off of it completely.

One good thing of living in a city like Boston is that you get to sample cuisines from the world over. There are very many ethnic food joints here. The best ones being the hole-in-the-wall mom and pop's style cafes that serve you the real deal. And inexpensively for that matter!

Girl next door said...

@ Makanga,
It is the best with those mbogas on the side. Cooking it takes energy but it's worth it!

@ Acolyte,
You're right about ugali tasting better with a delicious flavorful side dish. But eating it everyday is too monotonous. I like githeri with avocado.

@ Egm,
It takes a while to get used to the taste of everything in this country, I remember being so disappointed with the fruits. It would be possible to do the vegetarian thing coz there are lots of healthy substitutes. But the downside is it can lead to nutritional deficiencies. I penda all kinds of ethnic food and it's fun discovering those original places.