Thursday, August 31, 2006

Hair Politics

I am seriously thinking about shaving my head and keeping my hair really short. By the way it's natural. It takes so much energy and time to style it that I'm wondering why I bother. I don't want to relax it (been there) or loc it (not ready for the commitment) at this time.

Pros:
1. Less time getting ready in the morning and more sleep.
2. No dealing with the pain of a freshly braided scalp with tight braids, or the extreme heat when getting it straightened.
3. More money to spend on other things. Getting hair done in the States involves a lot of cash.
4. Being mistaken for a lesbian.
5. Proving to myself I can do things my way, regardless of what everyone else does.


Cons:
1. Showing my not-so-smooth head, not a flattering look.
2. Exposing my scalp to the elements, esp. when it gets cold.
3. Getting asked questions about why I cut it.
4. Being mistaken for a lesbian.
5. Not being able to get that sleek, corporate look. ( Why do I even care? I don't work in the corporate world.)

India.Arie's song featuring Akon, "I am not my hair" has a powerful message that many of us identify with. Our natural attributes just aren't good enough for the mainstream because caucasian features are the standard of attractiveness. Images in the media and pop culture prey on our insecurities, or even create doubt where there's none. There's always something we can do to our skin, bodies, and hair.
Disclaimer: I am not one of those individuals that subscribe to the idea that everything should be natural--you know those that don't believe in waxing, tweezing, or shaving the appropriate body areas. On the contrary, I encourage and take part in those services.

When I go to work, depending on what my current hairstyle is, I get a lot of comments and questions about it. (Compliments too!) I guess some of the people haven't seen Afro hair up close and personal. They don't understand the different things we do to it. Some are fascinated--they don't realize maintenance is so much work. I don't mind answering those who are genuinely curious but I get tired of it too. Anyway, I just have to air my frustration with dealing with my hair. I have an appointment with the hairdresser tomorrow so I'll do something. Let's see what happens.

7 comments:

Girl in the Meadow said...

I won't shave my hair unless somebody is paying me to act in a hot movie and i need to cut it. first having to deal with the kisogo mambos.

Aai but all the best

egm said...

Pole for the hair hassles. It's for reasons such as these that I appreciate being a man. I just go to the barber and get it all off, pay dude $12, and I'm on my way. I hope you get a workable solution.

As for P and C numbers 4, too funny. Double edged sword, eh?

Acolyte said...

I think you should try it out.Haircare costs an arm and a leg in stato.Besides since you dont work for a fortune 500 I am sure that you can pull it off.
I hate societal expectations regarding hair and looks.

Princess said...

Maintaining hair out here is expensive regardless of whether it is permed or braided so I can understand your hair woes. I know several people who have shaved off their hair at some point and they looked good.

Girl next door said...

@ Shiroh,
I remember how people with kiparas used to be dissed in primo (boys and girls alike)--don't know if I can deal with it now.

@ Egm,
This is another reason why I wish I was a dude.
On P & C no. 4: it depends on the setting and the people you're dealing with.

@ Acolyte,
Maybe I will. It's hard to avoid dealing with expectations, whether on tv, in magazines, or people around us.

@ Princess,
When I first came out here, I was shocked that braiding cost so much. Sometimes you're just forced to part with the cash. I've spotted some women who look gorgeous with supershort hair, I'm not sure if I could be one of them though.

Nakeel said...

So this dilema has not been going through my head alone? I feel you soo much. Gat a very natural one too and gal dont worry about what other people think of your hair simple You are not your hair. So how did it go with your hairdresser?

Girl next door said...

@ Nakeel,
I didn't have the courage to shave it. I told the hairdresser what I was thinking but wasn't ready for anything drastic yet. She shampooed, flat-ironed, and curled it so it looks great! I'll braid it and forget about it for a while....