Thursday, June 01, 2006

Being Kenyan on Madaraka Day



Kenyan Bloggers Day 2006 Button



Happy Madaraka Day!
Quick recap: this is a national holiday in Kenya that "celebrates the anniversary of self-government." It dates back to June 1st, 1964. It's often confused with Jamhuri Day, our Independence Day that was on Dec 12th, 1963. However, I'm not going into the political aspects of the holiday. I'm making this personal! This is about me being a Kenyan.

I am purely Kenyan: my passport and experiences prove it. I was born and bred there like my ancestors before me. It's my home because that where my roots are. There is so much to reminisce about: Farmer's Choice sausages and chips, slaughtering a goat for Christmas, braving pot-holed, muddy roads to go shagz & visit grandperoz, being welcomed into homes with hot chai, boarding schools, report forms (aiming for no. 1), mitush, VM, Splash, going to the show, buying sweets and bread at the local kiosk, crazy neighbors, friendly neighbors, dressing up for church, the comforts that peroz worked hard to provide, holidays, plucking chickens and cooking for visitors, shopping @ uchumi, the local market, etc. Life wasn't perfect, but I couldn't imagine being from anywhere else. I like to share my growing up experiences with people who have a limited view of Kenya. Of course, our wildlife is important--we've enjoyed those trips to Masaai Mara (it has the most beautiful sunset I've ever seen). And it just happened that a famous marathon runner or two lived in my old neighborhood. We're proud of them! But what about the majority of people whose lives revolved around other things? There are so many stories...that's why blogging is so great! We get to hear some different and some similar stories that connect us and teach us things we'd never know. KBW was a great idea.

Anytime we celebrate an anniversary whether it's a birthday or the birth of a nation, we reflect on where we started, and how far we've come since then. Somebody famous (who?) said "life is a journey, not a destination." On that note, I'm going to quote something I wrote on August 9, 2003:

[Before my sister and I came to study in the United States 2+ years ago, our father, a very wise man, told us this: He said that it is important to know where you are from. I didn't fully understand it then, but now I have seen the light. Our culture is our identity--it makes us distinct so we are not just another faceless person in the crowd. And this is very important when you live in a country where you are classified as a minority--and associated with all the negative things that come with it. When you have a sense of self, it gives you pride and dignity and helps you keep your focus. After a while, people will notice that you are different and you can excel at what you do. When I was in Kenya, I used to be amused when a person gave a lengthy introduction, "My name is so-and-so, my father is...my mother is...my home village is...the nearest market is...in this location...in that sub-location..our chief is..and our MP is...." then the person would continue to give a mini-history of his family--including marriages and children. Now I understand why all this is imporant. We need to have a sense of history and know where we came from as we try to find our place in the world. ]

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

The lengthy introductions, I miss those. As for aiming for number 1 in class. Oh the memories!

Girl next door said...

@ Mental,
These days, I catch myself doing those same introductions, telling people where I was born, where I grew up, and where my true home, shagz, actually is. Being number 1 meant a special gift.

Uaridi said...

Oh I miss those sausages, and the fresh air and the people (and I could go on and on)

Happy Madaraka day

Acolyte said...

Yes not forgetting where we come from is a major part of being a Kenyan!Even better is knowing where you can take Kenya and spread her glory and the wonderful things about us as Kenyans!

Girl next door said...

@ Uaridi,
Farmer's choice has the best taste and flavor. Happy Madaraka Day to you too!

@ Acolyte,
Our roots go deep for sure. It's a priviledge to share the real deal on our culture and country with others.

Anonymous said...

Happy Madaraka Day!

You are spot on about the Farmer's Choice sausages.

Thank you for your contribution

Trybless said...

You father gave you the best advice ever, glad to see you are still following it

Girl next door said...

@ Future Diplomat,
Now that I'm past the rebellious teen phase (when you disagree with peroz just for the sake of it), I realize how smart my father and mother are and I value their advice a lot.

Calvin said...

home is where the heart is, and our hearts will always beat to the rhythm of the Kenyan drums :-)

your post took me on a nostalgic trip, i haven't lived at home for nearing seven years now, and each holiday i take there i notice it changing, sometimes irreversibly..

Calvin said...

i tagged you by the way!

Girl next door said...

@ The Outlaw Torn,
The memories of home will always be with us. I've heard a lot about some of the changes--I haven't been home in years so it will be a big thing when I go back. Thanks for tagging me!

Anonymous said...

I was in an Asian country for four years, they had no idea where or what Kenya is...leave alone the runners and wildlife. Took me a long time to stop getting frustrated about explaining who I am and where I'm from...I realised if I don't then they are not to blame if they continue to believe we live on trees and all have AIDS.

Your dad gave you great advice. I was telling someone the other day that our generation takes for granted who we are...esp when you've been friends with someone and realise you don't know anything other than their first name and that they are luo, luhiya, kamba...sad

Girl next door said...

@ Vee,
it's amazing that people can be so knowledgeable about so many things yet remain ignorant about our countries. And what's with the living-in-a-tree obsession? Most form conclusions based on what shows on tv. You're right that it's high time people stopped taking identity for granted and realize it's possible to appreciate your culture and others' without being tribalistic.