Sunday, June 18, 2006

Summer bbqs, Juneteenth, and Dad's Day

"So what do you do for fun?" is a question I ask and answer when I'm getting to know people. This weekend, I got to do one of my fave things: attend a house party/bbq. It was fun and had the right amount of everything: blend of people, great food, lots of alcohol, and lively music. I'm not into clubbing anymore: I'd rather go to a pub or house. I've learned that the word 'party' can mean anything from a crew of friends hanging out, to a dinner, and all the way to a full-blown event--it just depends who you're talking to. It's interesting to hang out with different crowds and see how they like to party. Brazilians get my top vote for best people to party with.

I passed by a Juneteenth festival this afternoon. This holiday, dating back to June 19th, 1865, "commemorates the end of slavery in the U.S." Did anyone ever learn this in history class? I just learned about the holiday recently. A few blocks on the main street were closed off to make room for booths with food, jewelry, random collectibles, and a couple stages with musicians performing. It was cool to see black families enjoying a family day. I even spotted a police department recruitment booth and for some reason I thought it was funny. Another observation I made was that most of the people selling jewelry and African print textiles were Asians. They also own and run most of the beauty supply stores that sell hair products for black women. Hmm..These people are very enterprising, everything is 'made in China!' I think it's about time we learned something from them. When businesses make profits, they channel them back into their communities giving themselves more economic power.

Happy Father's Day! Got my Dad a fabulous gift which will be hand-delivered to him sometime next month. It's gonna be a cool surprise!

2 comments:

Acolyte said...

Nice post!If we started factories in Africa that made all these things we wouldnt have to buy thse things from asians.
I too realised that I had outgrown the clubbing stage last year so I leave it to my sisters.
It's nice of you to remember your dad as fathers are so often overlooked!

Girl next door said...

@ Acolyte,
Thanks! We definitely have the labor force, just need to have the financial/economic aspects worked out.
I'm just over the clubbing scene. Father's Day doesn't get as much press and Mother's but it's just as important!