Sunday, June 25, 2006

M' iTunes

Songs I'm lovin' right now:

1) Trippin' by Toni Braxton--talk about a comeback! She looks hot and sounds hotter.

2) Over my head by The Fray--this Denver band rocks, I'm just dying to see them perform in my city this summer (tix already sold out). The music video features the lead singer and his younger bro.

3) Promiscuous by Nelly Furtado and Timbaland--major image revamp for Nelly, her vocals are still strong. Timbaland has one of the sexiest voices I've ever heard and natural talent.

3) Unfaithful by Rihanna--the girl has a great voice, cool video.

4) Anything by Bamboo--this Kenyan rap artist has talent! His lyrics flow and make sense. Saw him perform in L.A. during Rugby Sevens weekend. Wish he'd come tour my city. Now, where can I buy one of his CDs?

5) Clarinet Concerto Adagio by Mozart--that quote about "music soothing the savage beast" must have been about this song. When I'm tense or trying to sleep, listening to this relaxes me. It's 7 min. long (yawn...)


Songs I detest:

1) Anything by Pussycat Dolls.

2) My humps by Black-Eyed Peas--After unleashing "Where is the Love" and a couple other songs, they must have run out of ideas. This song is annoying!

3) Temperature by Sean Paul--the song is sawa, but it's a reminder of somebody who really liked it. Can't listen to the song without thinking about the person, so I don't wanna hear the song.

4) Laffy Taffy by D4L--it's playing on the radio right now! I wouldn't date a guy who liked this song.

10 comments:

The.Hanyeé said...

Currently rotating "Over My Head (Cable Car)" heavily right now...veerrrrr nice!

Don't think Bamboo (like a lot of new-age Kenyan artistes) has put out an album yet...you will probably be able to get a few singles from mymusic.co.ke or look for any K-South albums

Agree with all ur detestations...totally feeling u on that vibe, especially 1,2 and 4!

Anonymous said...

Man that Laffy Taffy thing has got to be the most irritating thing I have ever heard!

To think that someone signed and said "OK, let's record this!"

As for the Pussy Cat Dolls I especially hate "Beep!"

As for Bamboo to hear him at his best get Nairobizm and Nairobbery. I for one continue to mourn the demise of K South. Just like En Vogue they're worse off after they split

Bee said...

i don't get that nelly furtado song.... What happened to the girl that sung 'I'm like a bird..." and 'turn off the lights"

Anonymous said...

I think Toni Braxton needs to hang up the skimpy clothes and take up a more sedate image, since she left LA Reid's label her music has never been as good as it once was.Nelly Furtado's new album really rocks!Bamboo has a tight flow I must admit but I don't think he has any cd out, just loads of singles and collabos.I have loads of classical and ambient music, the best thing after a long day!
Pussycat Dolls do suck!Plus now I have so little respect for Snoop for doing a song with them!
B.E.P also suck, My humps makes me sick to my stomach!
D4L are among the rappers who killed hip hop!All you need nowadays is a nice hook and a beat people can snap to!

Msanii_XL said...

get at me on email I have some newer stuff from bamboo(a mixtape they put out early this year)...will gladly share.

CiikuMrsBabes said...

I agree with KG... not feeling the Nelly Furtado song... AT ALL. Aco.. I am with you...Toni needs to get some clothes on...... like yesterday.

As for the crap that is coming out now in the name of crunk.. I dont even want to talk about that mess......

Girl next door said...

@The.hanyee,
I'd love to see the song live. Thanks for the tip, I'll look for K-South music.
@ M,
Laffy taffy is definitely irritating! Recording it must have been a bad joke. K-South lyrics are deep and Nairobbery is brilliant. Too bad that most groups don't stick it out together.
@ Kenyangal,
When I saw Nelly Furtado in the video, I was doing a double take coz it's the opposite of her previous style. I guess the sexy image sells...
@Acolyte,
Probably both Toni and Nelly were told that the sexy-vamp image would sell their songs--seems like an a drastic proof that moms can still be hot. I think Bamboo should unleash a CD. Pussycat Dolls are all-image, there's no content in their music; Snoop actually collabod with them?
@Msanii_xl,
Thanks! I'll do that.
@ Moviebuff,
I like the catchy beats in Nelly's song, but it's going to be overplayed on radio and mtv. Working Timbaland must have boosted the ratings a lot. Toni's just showing off the toned body; didn't have to coz her talent is obvious. Artists with little content/entertainment, and are hard on the eye and ears are a waste of time.

POTASH said...

vjaMhhh...bamboo, I think I am cool with his music. Had to check him out on the Kapuka thing years ago...but that is hushhush!

egm said...

I'm not one for mainstream music. I prefer out of the way genres like accordion music typical of the French and Greek, Spanish guitar, South American folk music and even our own Kenyan folk tunes by the likes of Jabali Afrika. While at home I got to watch a performance by the Boys Choir of Kenya, and that just made my day. Great stuff! I also love classical. Rachmaninov's 2nd and 3rd piano concertos are two pieces I can listen to over and over any time any place.

Girl next door said...

@ Potash,
Sounds like Bamboo has enough fans around, that's cool!
@ Egm,
It's great to discover music that never gets played on the radio. I started listening to new songs when I met buddies from other countries. I'm embarassed that I don't know much about Kenyan folk music. Classical music wonderful, I try to go to the symphony once in a while.