Tuesday, June 13, 2006

I'm like totally excited! I got accepted!

Major pet-peeve:
People who say 'like' or 'totally' about 10 times in one sentence. It's such an airhead expression.

Yesterday, I got great news. I was accepted into a school program in my city for this Fall. I didn't think I would get in this year coz I got a denial letter before, so I had plan B and C in place (one involved moving to Hawaii for a few months). Main reason for denial was a couple of prereqs I hadn't done, so I was taking the classes at the local community college. Another thing is the program has limited spots. As most people abroad can attest, it's difficult to balance studies and work. I'd been away from school for a while so my study skills were rusty, anyway I passed my classes! Yay! Actually got an A in Philosophy (the teacher was generous in giving extra credit). As for Chemistry, I'll just say I'm glad I don't have to repeat the class. It's over.
Now, the process of planning for school begins. I'm rather excited about it coz it's taking me closer towards my future plans and ambitions. I remember those last months at home when everybody would ask why you were leaving home and what you wanted to study. At the time, life seemed simple. Now, I realize how much work and effort must be done for plans to succeed. I have renewed respect and love for my parents. I'm feeling optimistic right now and I'm fulfilling my New Year's Resolutions. I hope #1 will happen this December holiday. I've done part of #2 in changing hours, I'm planning to move from that place at the end of the summer. I know it's time to move on to a new phase.

Another highlight: Brazil winning Croatia 1-0. The Croatians put up a fight and were better than I thought. But in the end, Brazil is it!

Thumbs down: The Armenian scandal and the way State House is mishandling it. It reeks of high-level corruption and is doing considerable damage to us and our country. Every other day, I meet somebody who's taking a trip to Kenya and they ask questions. It's guaranteed that many will cancel their holidays as the travel advisories roll out once again. And that brutal attack on a high school boy in Nairobi and the way his situation was mishandled by the school officials is so sad. Tafadhali, enforce the Sexual Offences Bill right now and put the cruel perpetrators away from society.

7 comments:

Half 'n' half said...

You go girl, Congratulations and hope you enjoy it.

KenyanMusings said...

Like OMG! That is like soooo coool, like, I am so totally happy for you like, I so know how it feels like so totally great when things like go so totally your way, like when you are like so not expecting it the like its soooo there in your face like OMG! that is like soo sooo cool.

There. 11 'likes'. That should assure me a place in your peevy database. tihii

I hate it too. Arrrrghhh! And I do it with my brother just to annoy him.

Else, congratulations on your achievement is in order no? You go gal!!
Yaay for you. If you can find me, you get a (insert traditional drink here), on the rocks on me! Like I so promise

W. said...

one of my friends has a habbit of saying like, so once we counted how many times she would say it in a block and it turned out to be 82...anyways, Congratulations on your acceptance and good luck!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your acceptance!

Girl next door said...

@ Liveinsudan,
Thanks! I'm looking forward to it.
@ KM,
Totally! it really works when you're trying to get on people's nerves. When I make it back to Nairobi I'll find you and go for that traditional drink. Asante!
@ Wambui,
82 times? Wow, when I took Speech Comm, the teacher was marking off major points for saying 'like' constantly, but some people couldn't stop! Thanks.
@ Acolyte,
It's another step forward in achieving my Kenyan dream, thank you!

POTASH said...

what about Basically...as in Basically, I am like congratulating you...as in totally.

Girl next door said...

@ Potash,
basically is a good one, you're totally right on! thanks =)