Tuesday, May 30, 2006

What a rush!

A buddy recently told me about her adventure skydiving.
"Wow! what a rush!" I replied, "I'd be scared to death if I had to jump out of a plane."
So, I have a fear of heights. Many people do. I also can't swim. Years ago, I took lessons but the moment I get in deep water I panic. Maybe someday I'll have the courage to face the fear. I enjoy boating but if it tipped over, that would be it. One of my fave books as a child was called Narrow Escapes (gift from a good friend in primo) and it featured stories of shipwrecks in wild seas. I enjoyed reading them but I resolved never to sail around the world.

It seems like a lot of people hunt for activities that challenge their physical and mental endurance; that adrenaline rush must be addictive. I've gone on a couple of amusement park rides that gave me that rush: even though I logically knew I'd get back down, there was a moment when I was suspended up there when I thought, "this is the end!" And one of the best tours I've had in my city was riding on the back of a motorcycle. It was a spontaneous afternoon ride I took with a certain gentleman. Very exciting! In the end, I prefer to remain on solid ground.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I am ashamed (no I am not!) to say that I am one of those people who love a rush whenever they can get it!Try it!You wont forget it!

Girl next door said...

Acolyte,
I admire your daring spirit. Maybe one of these fine days I'll try something new.

Trybless said...

on my 30th birthday am planning to skydive and banjo jump, well still have 5 years to get my nerves strong

Girl next door said...

@ Future Diplomat,
More power to you! That will be a memorable day.