Monday, May 01, 2006

Labor(less) Day

I didn't go to work today. Didn't have to coz I worked all weekend. So when the alarm clock went off, I just shut it off and rolled over. I enjoy waking up with the sunlight peeking through my burgundy curtain, then sipping hot tea or coffee after a shower. Briefly thought about skipping class in support of immigration rights, then thought, "Who am I kidding? There's an exam on Wednesday!" For my views on immigration, see my April 10th post. Today, a very special person is celebrating a birthday. HAPPY BIRTHDAY M!

So I get to Chemistry class late (I've got a chronic lateness problem, I'm either late or really early) and sit near the front coz it's closer to the door. I usually sit in the back next to a dude from Cote d'Ivoire. Rule is, when you're in front you have to stay awake and appear very interested. It's a challenge when class is over an hour long and during lunchtime. These days, I have a very short attention span. Don't know why. My chem professor seems very enthusiastic about his subject. But I could never be a teacher, or a public speaker, or a solo performer. I hate being in the spotlight--the center of visual attention. It doesn't mean that I want to be ignored. Instead, I'd like to be one of those legends that you hear about but rarely see. I'd rather be the power behind the curtain masterminding the scenes.

P.S. I'm reading a book called "The Last Don' by Mario Puzo of The Godfather fame. It's gripping, fast-paced and exciting, kinda like me (just kidding!). I passed by a great bookstore today in my old neighborhood and browsed. What I wanna read soon: Obama's "Tales of My Father" and anything by David Sedaris. Also looking to read up on intelluctual property rights.

11 comments:

akiey5 said...

What you just said (quoted below) couldn't escape my attention & no, you can't stop me from teasing you about it,lol!

I'd like to be one of those legends that you hear about but rarely see. I'd rather be the power behind the curtain masterminding the scenes.

Any wonder you're getting more into The Last Don than Chem class? Those that really run La Cosa Nostra are the guys/chicks with character traits similar to yours....silent, out of the limelight but making major moves.
Have a great week!

akiey said...

PS: Hope you've read The Sicilian as well? Mario Puzo is a master story teller & is one of those minds that open up the darkest alleys in the life & times of many Dons.

Also check out these by other great writers (get u their names soonest)Eye of The Needle, The Valacci Papers, True Confessions of A Mob Leader, Honor They Father

Anonymous said...

The last don rules!It's one of Puzo's best books!Good luck with the exam!

Kabinti said...

Hey! will be sure to check out those books. Been looking fwd to checking out Obama's book. Chem during lunch time si mchezo :o)

CiikuMrsBabes said...

The Last Don is an amazing book....
David Sedaris is Hilarious.... the book "Tales of my father", I started it... and then I flipped pages mpaka I reached the chapter on Kenya. I should actually read it vizuri one of these days!

Malaika said...

i got late issues too. they suck.

Girl next door said...

@ akiey,
thanks for dropping by! I'm not offended by your teasing at all, coz that's my frame of mind at the moment. Power is everything. Funny how the characters in the book like the Don, Cross, and Athena stick in my mind longer than carboxylic acids, ketones, and all that organic chem I need to know. I haven't read The Sicilian yet. Eye of the Needle sounds familiar. I'm gonna look for those other books.

@ acolyte,
I'm very close to the end of the book, and I need all the luck I can get for my exam!

@ kabinti,
for sure it's hard to focus when you're thinking about food. If I don't eat early then I carry a drink to sip on.

@ movie buff,
hey, I'd love to check out your book collection coz it sounds like we have similar tastes! I like humor so I'm looking forward to Sedaris' work. And Obama's too.

@ malaika,
glad I'm not alone! I'm really trying to work on it.

Anonymous said...

Ok so I am posting a late comment about the quarter life crisis. My bad - haven't been here for a while. I feel you on this one. Strange how you think its only happening to you then you hear someone else going through the same struggles. I am at a top b-school going into a summer internship with a top firm and am worried about not succeeding in life - just how dumb is that? I reckon its important to go through these times of self-doubt as it helps reinforce your values and helps you remember what you really value. I would be glad to go offline and pick your mind on how you are coping with this.

Keep up the blog. Its one of the most sincere and the one I really feel!!! And hey, I will be on the West coast.

Girl next door said...

@ surambaya,
thanks for your compliment! I enjoy reading comments from readers like you. It's comforting to know I'm not the only one going through those struggles. So you'll be in the West coast this summer, wonder if it's in my area code?

Stunuh Jay said...

Mario Puzo is good! he can't help it! Blaze a trail! Hope you get to be a legend.

Girl next door said...

@ stunuh,
thanks!