Sunday, May 07, 2006

Da Vinci, Bad drivers, & the Cocktail Within

This past weekend, I had a great trip out of town: saw old buddies, ate a lot, drank plenty, and had a wonderful time socializing. Enjoyed the sunny west coast weather and the sights. On my way there, I sat next to a pleasant older couple. After chatting briefly with the gentleman, I saw 'Angels and Demons' by Dan Brown in his hand. I asked if he'd read 'The Da Vinci Code.' He had but wasn't enthusiastic about its portrayal of secret societies. The he showed me his Mason ring. There are so many myths surrounding them but I won't get into that. I do know for a fact that they are very wealthy and run children's hospitals (Shriners) which give free care--but the kids have to meet certain criteria. This has to be one of the most widely read books around the world. It has sparked off genuine interest in religious history, art, Europe, the Knights Templar, secret rituals, Leonardo da Vinci, and Jesus. Lots of other books on the subject have since been published, and there are tours that highlight the museums and churches mentioned. The movie had better be good!

My rant of the day: bad drivers! When I get into a car and somebody is going to drive me somewhere, I don't ask for their DL or where they learned to drive. I assume the person knows the basics, but there are times I have to break the silent passenger code and interfere for safety reasons. I was riding with a dude today whose driving made me so nervous that I will never get into his car again. Slowing down while crossing an intersection, running a red light when there were other cars coming, chilling at a 4-way stop for too long, parking and blocking cars, the list goes on. I felt like yelling, "Are you blind!" I was very relieved to get to my destination. I don't want to die in a car accident, that's scary.

As time goes by, do we grow up into different people with new personalities or are we born with multiple ones that take turns dominating? Seriously, are there times you find yourself doing or saying something is just not you? You're thinking, the old me would never do this, but it makes perfect sense right now! Although we may all have the classic Jekyll/Hyde aspect, I think we're made up of a more complex blend. Like a cocktail: it can be sweet or sour, icy, fizzy, colorful or clear, strong or watered down, and may have extras (olives, cherries, lime, mint...) that make it memorable.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

AS individuals we are certainly an assembly of the different experiences that we go through in life. As a result, I believe that this results in inconsistencies in how we deal with seemingly identical situations - there are mood inteferences, social pressures, the level of interaction involved etc. Its all part of the 'growing up' process. As we get older, we develop a framework on how to deal with different situations. Having said that, I still surprise myself more often than not.

Girl next door said...

You're so right about the inconsistencies when dealing with similar situations. I look forward to getting older!

Unknown said...

I have read the Da vinci code and for me I don't take it too seriously I just take it as entertainment.
I am the ultimate poor passanger lately I can't stand being a passanger and even worse is being a passanger in my own car it just makes me edgy.