Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Heard...and Seen {-_-}

Memorable movie quotes:
1) "We are the Catholic church, we can do anything." Casanova.
2) "Deep down, I'm really shallow." Shark Tale.
3) "We want free!" Amistad.
4) "Just when I thought that I was out, they pull me back in" The Godfather.
5) "I'm not a Las Vegas showgirl, I'm a headliner!" Sister Act 2.

Today,
while walking home from the neighborhood Safeway, I passed by an old couple strolling. The woman was walking slightly ahead and she'd slow down and urge the man to walk faster. He looked like he's lived through both world wars, the fall of the Soviet Union, and seen the computer shrink from occupying an entire field to something you can carry in one hand. Anyway, I think old couples are sweet when they still seem enthralled by each other. Talking of strange couple behavior, I remember some men who would rarely walk with their wives. As in, they are both going to church or something at the same time but you see the husband about 5 feet ahead striding confidently while the wife trails behind. What is up with that? Maybe I never got the memo, but is it a cultural thing or just a personal thing? Either way, I don't like it. It implies lack of consideration among other things.

It's high season for sports, obviously. Saw a bunch of little leaguers in uniform. Planning to see a live baseball game and looking forward to World Cup. I recently hang out in some sports bars (with some dudes of course) watching the Lakers vs Suns game and it was quite interesting. I know the general rules but the finer details escape me. But that's just me. There must be some kind of genetic code programmed in males that attracts them to sports. If a man enters a room and there's a game on tv, he'll instantly gravitate in that direction like steel shavings to a magnet. I think there's also a code programmed in females that attracts them to magazines. I've tried to analyze their attraction from a logical view without success. I'm talking magazines like Cosmo, Marie Claire, Seventeen, Redbook, etc. If you grab a sample of these, you'll realize there are some dominant themes and articles that keep getting published every month: "10 ways to please your man," "Discover the real fabulous you," "Meals that tantalize the senses" "Serve yourself for dessert tonight" Even guys who bitch about magazines giving ladies senseless ideas have probably been the recipient of some exciting experiment from those same magazines. (Say 'thank you Cosmo!') Some of those tips are pretty useful, but I think it's the pictures and real-life examples ( love the embarassing stories and confessions) that make the magazines irresistible. Who knows? Who even really cares? Not much harm is done, so hand me that Cosmo!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Mama always said life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get." Forrest Gump

Girl next door said...

I couldn't have said it better.

Spidey/Tato said...

Couch Tato and i shall be back and i shall unleash for u memorable quotes

U have to love the GODAFTHER it had enough quotes for a lifetime

Spidey/Tato said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

The day a cosmo comes out without numbers on the cover, I will run around uni naked!

Girl next door said...

@ Nick,
That's why I like the Godfather, you can watch it over and over again and hear something new everytime!

@ Aco,
Cosmo has lot of numbers and lists of things. Maybe it's because a lot of women operate on lists e.g. qualities we want in a man or whatever.

Barsawad said...

You write very well!

You seem not to think much of marriege! I am on my second one now; and I know, no matter what: I am happiest only with a wife. And I feel best when with her. Same with my first marriege. It only failed, only because she prefered living in Kenya, and I couldn't move back there.

Girl next door said...

@ Omar,
Thanks! Actually, I think marriage can be a great thing but many people in it give it a bad name. There's a lot of disrespect (like my real-life example of a husband walking 5+ ft ahead of his wife while she tries to catch up). But I like to see and hear about people who really enjoy it---like you! I think the old couples are the sweetest coz they've been through so much b.s. together. I respect marriage so much that I plan to avoid it. For now anyway. I can always change my mind though!

Barsawad said...

'I respect marriage so much that I plan to avoid it.' That is quotable! I hope you find the right person and give it a try!

Note: it is also being the right person; and: marriage should be nurtured and cared for more than any other relationship.

Girl next door said...

@ Omar,
I don't know; I'm still working on being a certain kind of person.

Anonymous said...

amistad was give us us free and ya nick, godfather is the "mother" of quotable quotes

dont worry about marriage girl next door, when God decides whatever he decides it will jus happen and you wont even see it coming