Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Fuck the Paparazzi!

I'm so pissed off because I have just discovered some pictures of me and my friends posted online. We are fully clothed and (mostly) sober but that's not the point. The point is the people (ex-schoolmates and now former 'friends') who took the pictures did NOT inform us that they would post on them on their website. I will no longer use the term friend to refer to either one of this people again because that is something a REAL friend would never do. Technology has made our lives better but at the same time complicated it a million times. These days every other person is carrying a digital camera and it's a great thing--but please do not take a picture of me if:
a) you don't know me
b) you don't warn me or ask my permission. These are liberties I grant only to those who share the same blood/ DNA or have known me for years.

And even worse, don't post it on your tired website! I just have to vent about these former 'friends': one chick is going out with a sweet-talking jamaa; now this jamaa was seriously hitting on a mutual friend--when the chick was informed she refused to believe it and therefore sacrificed a friendship that had lasted for years. It was very clear to all of us that her relationship was her only priority and friends were secondary so we gave them space. I'm very loyal to my buddies so if somebody doesn't treat them right, then I'll stay away from them. Anyway, time goes by. I never see these people so I don't care what they're doing. Then one day, we all meet at a public function and, being the mature people that we are, say hello and catch up kidogo. Actually, we couldn't avoid them--they came to us with lots of sike. Then someone unleashes a camera and yells 'smile!' 'lean closer.' The flashes go off....somebody introduces their boyfriend saying that they're into organizing events, have a website, blah, blah, blah. Frankly, I've heard this a million times--I'm not putting down the people who do this kinda thing (coz it does take talent and organization) but it seems like 50%-80% of the Kenyan population abroad is doing it. Don't quote me on the figures. In any major metropolitan area across the U.S. there are at least 2 or more Entertainment groups. DJ is a title many aspire to but few demonstrate the skill--it takes more than just playing your fave dance tunes from your iPod/CD collection. Anyway, you know how sometimes you dislike people and stay away from them for so long that you even forget why? Then one day, you give them a chance but they do something shitty right away and then you know "this is why I cannot get along with this person." That's how I feel about the people who posted my pic.

I am a very private person (painfully shy through high school and then became more outgoing) and I'm selective about the people I allow into my inner circle--we all learn through experience. My image is important to me (I'm sure y'all agree)--I confess that I google myself every now and then to see what shows up. I really wouldn't mind having a fabulous pic of myself online if I liked the way I looked in it, and no pics with beer please (some of us grew up in conservative christian homes); don't want to shock the folks @ home. For real, if you spend time around dumb people, who are unambitious and don't care about anything--it will start to rub off on you. So I'm gonna stay away from people with too much drama; I just want a simple life. Stay away from me you paparazzi!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am with you on this one. I hate finding my picture online on some random website. I understand your frustration. Try emailing the webmaster and asking them politely to remove your picture. After all if these are reasonable people they should agree.
Good luck ...

Girl next door said...

I'll get in touch with them and hope they remove the pics soon!

Acolyte said...

@ girl next door
pole bout the pic, I hear it has become a big thing now for ppl to post pics of Kenyans at bashes.I think that if it is done bila perm it is disgusting.I have always wondered why women always put their relationships before their friends yet when things go wrong we know where they will run to first!
As for this event organising thing it is too much!I live near ATL and there is sumthin every 3 weeks and needless to say not all those events are worth writing home about.
I think that many of these "entertainment groups" are started up by Kenyans in the states who due to lack of makaratasi or imagination want to make easy cash.Let us know if the pic is taken down.

Girl next door said...

There are websites where people post a pic of kenyans @ a bash and make dumb comments literally ripping them apart--very immature.
I attend those events once in a while like major holidays or if there's a performer in town.

Acolyte said...

@ girl next door
That is a very wise move.I do the same, I go for those events once in a while.Dont want to see my face on those sides and the romours to start back home!

Anonymous said...

you sound so fuckin conceited talking about paparazzi, i am sure only me and three other fucktards that want to see your ugly ass , everyone else is on egotastic.com looking at people with real papp problems , exposing major nyama.