Tuesday, February 28, 2006

To hibernate or "help people"

Sometimes when the world is wearing me out, I wish I could just hibernate and wake up to better times. I'm not feeling down tonight, just introspective. I have about 10 different things running through my mind--scattered thoughts. I've been reading some blogs from KBW and I am so impressed with some people's writing style. Kenyans are among the most intelligent people I know! (but do I say...) It is amazing how words can evoke such strong feelings. When I hear or read about other people's experiences, I usually have 2 main reactions:
1) I could never imagine that happening to me or anyone close to me
2) I feel the same way or it hits close to home.

I am a big fan of quotes, and there's one I can't remember well but it goes "the more I care about humanity, the less I care for people" It's in some book I read recently. I'll look it up. People can wear you out and just drain you.Anyway, I strongly dislike the phrase " I want to help people." It is so generic, way overused, and sadly lost its meaning. It's the kind of thing that missionaries and expats say when they've been posted to Kenya or another African country. Never mind that they're getting paid hefty allowances for all their basic needs: housing, food, health, school fees for their kids. In addition to this they're getting travel allowances/air tickets and we're not even talking about the salary yet. My sis and I have had numerous discussions about this. It's also the phrase that society ladies throw around to explain their 'charity' work--which really involves eating fancy lunches in classy hotels to plan a ball or auction that will be attended by equally wealthy high society people. Not to say that some good doesn't come out of this, but what is the point of aspiring to lofty goals when you are ignoring things closer to home? Like people who will quickly write out a cheque to The Heart Foundation, or for Disabled Children and yet remain immune to the suffering that their own workers are undergoing. Maybe your housekeeper or gardener could use some extra cash this month to help an ill family member. Or for themselves. I don't want to ignore those genuine souls who really go out of their way--and I can personally say a big thank you to a few.

Just a side note: I've been reading "The Brothers Karamazov" for ages (rather unusual coz I'll usually be reading 2 or 3 books @ once) and right now I'm stuck where Elder Zosima has this long monologue; I know it's deep but it's boring! I'm generally interested in people's spiritual beliefs/ values and how they get there. I want to finish the book coz most of it is interesting--I was surprised to find some of Ivan's views practical. Some of these Russians are rather talented--the extreme weather must make people think a lot and drink a lot, ha ha (not necessarily in that order). I was very angry and saddened to read about the racism and violence that Kenyans and other black students undergo in that country today, ati people are beaten up in the subway and the cops look the other way? A cuzo of mine is in that part of the world. Will I ever live to see the day when the Kenyan govt will take an active role in ensuring the safety and well being of its citizens? We can dream can't we...y'all stay safe out there!

3 comments:

Girl in the Meadow said...

Like people who will quickly write out a cheque to The Heart Foundation, or for Disabled Children and yet remain immune to the suffering that their own workers are undergoing

You have made a good point. It is well known that even the toughest human rights crusaders beat their wives.

Good post

Girl next door said...

Thanks Shiroh!
I think it is so hypocritical when people do that--it's hard to call them on it coz the world has the image that they're a 'do-gooder.'

Anonymous said...

The quote you have there is powerful. We have to realise that no one but ourselves will get us up and out of this. It is down to us.
Thanks for writing this.