Thursday, March 23, 2006

Brokeback...part 1

Yeah, I know this movie came out ages ago, but I feel the need to air my views on the issue. I will go on record as follows:

I watched Brokeback Mtn and it's a brilliant, moving film--everyone should see it! Even those who are uncomfortable with homosexuality have to admit that the film's portrayal of 2 attractive married men who express their heart's true desire while juggling their families strikes a chord in any human who has ever loved someone deeply, and then lost them because of family situations, society norms, and other circumstances. (Damn! what a long sentence.) Humans are programmed to have sexual feelings and we express them in different ways.

The debate of "Nature vs Nurture" will go on forever as we all try to figure out "how" it happens. A lot of other people are still in denial about the whole issue thinking it only happens to strange people in a far away country, city, or state. But when something happens closer home--you are forced to change your perspective. Just think for a moment, what if that gay man walking down the street was your best friend or your brother? Or maybe that lesbian co-worker people make fun of was a cousin, or maybe it was you? Many people would say, "Oh hell, no, I know all my friends and cousins, and I sure as hell know what I like!" Perhaps. We all tend to put groups of people together in a box and give them specific labels. When you meet someone who doesn't conform to the label, it's scary to admit that you may be wrong. If you are wrong about this one thing, maybe you have to re-examine your entire belief system. I say that we all need to examine our belief systems and figure out why we believe what we do. And many of us say, "That's how I was brought up." This reason alone doesn't cut it once you survive your angst-ridden youth. It's one thing for a bright-eyed 17-yr old girl to make that statement when she explains why she goes to church every weekend; but it's just pathetic for a 33-yr old man to say it when he explains why he won't stay up to party coz bedtime is 10pm. Now, I'm not attacking choices, but I'm asking everyone to see what's behind them. Maybe it's just me who isn't satisfied with answers like "that's the way it is." I yearn to discover the 'real' story behind the statement. I want to know how one gets there. I'm just going through that stage in life when I'm examining a lot of my beliefs.

A former classmates would share some intimate stories about her marriage (that was falling apart...but that's not the point). She told us that a few years into the marriage, her husband would only get off on freaky things so she'd wear a strap-on when they had sex. We can picture this from many different angles, I'm sure...Lesson for the day: straight people get freaky too!

8 comments:

Milonare said...

Hehehehe

You ingia marriage vizuri then someone changes and starts demanding that you drink sturungi while bonking, swinging from a chandelier...

People can be funny...

Girl next door said...

@ Milonare,
you think you know someone... then surprise!

Gay Nairobi Man said...

I am one of those guys who had to date a girl to hide my sexuality. Eventually, I realised the folly of my actions and "came out" to her albeit too late.

Girl next door said...

@ Nairobi Man,
It takes courage to come out esp. knowing how people can judge you, props to you!

Anonymous said...

@ girl next door
One thing about human beings is that it is hard for them t accept pl that are diff, it takes time.As for that movie I think in the long run it did not do too much for the cause.The lust and selfisheness of those men destroyed their families and that is what stays with many ppl about gay ppl esp those on the dl.
Plus if someone does something or lives in a way that we dont agree with that doesnt make it ok.we just have to learn to accomodate it.I dont approve of the gay lifestyle at all but if by some freak occurrence my bro was gay.I would do what the good book tels us, hate the sin but love the sinner.Ppl can say what they want but at the end of the day homosexuality is a choice, we are not mindless animals.

walk said...

nairobi i dont even know why you call youself a man

Anonymous said...

@ joe
I feel the same way about Nairobi man too!

Girl next door said...

@ Aco,
The movie may not have done much for the gay cause, but I think it placed this topic in the limelight and was a wake-up call to the general public. I agree that you can love a person even though you don't agree with their actions. However, the sexual urge is strong and innate. If they're consenting adults, they have a right to express themselves.

@ Joe & Aco,
You've shared your views, but I'm offended at the slur aimed at Nairobi Man. Of course he's a man, and there are many others like him. Forcing people to suppress their feelings leads to life on the DL and so many more people get hurt (as played out in Brokeback).