Saturday, March 11, 2006

TGIF! ipod nano, & the London School of Economics.

At last! I can finally put my feet up. Had an exhausting day at work, very intense.It's over now so I won't get into it. You know the feeling when you get home at the end of your day, when you leave the cold windy world outside and enter your warm, comfortable abode and sigh, at last...I had a hot shower, changed into pj's, and immeadiately reached for a cold MGD (the best!) and a hot plate of food. Now, highlights from my week:

a) I have an ipod nano! I've wanted one for a long time and thanks to my darling sis for giving me this gift. I never realized its appeal but now I'm hooked; I take it everywhere. One of my fave tunes to relax to is Pachelbel's Canon in D. The violins make me think of butterflies and fairies prancing around an enchanted forest...
b) Got e-mails from some old friends I haven't been in touch with--when you have a great connection with certain people that the mention of their names, or hearing just a few words from them lights up your day and you can't stop smiling=)

Enough has been said about the shameless debacle of Kenyan politics and it's clear that the agenda many leaders had when they were campaigning for votes drastically shifted once they were sworn into office. I am so proud of the numerous Kenyans who had the courage to speak up and demonstrate and call out these tyrannical leaders. And what's this we hear about mercenaries from Eastern Europe? Damn, we even have to export hit men! And I thought there were plenty of homegrown ones. Despite the fact that Kenya is a developing country and freqently features on polls to do with: i)extreme poverty ii) starvation iii) HIV/AIDS iv)corruption v)lack of clean water and other equally depressing things, I strongly believe and know there is a lot of wealth and resources present. It's all about the distribution (I don't need a degree from the London School of Economics to know that). I am not the first person to come up with the idea but why can't those who have millions to throw around spend the money locally so the wealth can trickle down to their fellow citizens? Why outsource when you can do it locally? There's some talk in the news about getting rid of some expats and replacing them with qualified locals...we'll see how that goes. It's sad that many very intelligent visionary professionals are not recognized until they leave and make a name somewhere else where their talents are put to use.

And while many of us look to these intelligent visionary professionals for inspiration, sometimes we esteem them so highly that we forget to put them in their place.Y'all know those people whose attitude is so in your face: "Everybody, stop the world now! I'm very important coz my job is____. I worked on this project/presentation/research study." But just try to coordinate something simple with them and they will turn it into a triathlon for you: you will jump through hoops and go distances in an effort to touch base with them--a very exhausting affair. Those folks who will quickly unleash their business cards for you at some random bash when you're just trying to make idle conversation; going into endless details as you stifle a yawn and glance around the room in an effort to find anybody to rescue you. My reaction? Thanks, but I'm not looking for a business partner or consultant and I don't want to buy whatever crap you're selling so I could care less. But one day, you realize that you want to buy that product and call the person up and they're too damn lazy to drive <15 min to deliver just coz you're not buying an entire shipment. Oh please! We are new customers who could be bankrolling you for the next few years. Talk about bad business skills.(I sure as hell don't need a degree from the London School of Economics to know that!)

My plan for the weekend is to spend quality time with my fab siblings, watch Tsotsi, and get lots of sleep (and study too).

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didnt know about Pachelbel's Canon in D but after listening to it, I see why you have it on your Nano. Great blog by the way. check this one out by a Kenyan prof in Canada - http://madkenyanwoman.blogspot.com/. Great writing too!!!
Currently a grad student in Philly and will be headed west for a summer internship.

Best

Girl next door said...

thanks anon!
I penda the blogs on KBW including Mad Kenyan Woman. All the best with your internship.

Adrian said...

congrats on the nano!

when it came out, i told myself i need to get one too. but i think i'd have problems selecting which of the 30 gb i have on my current mp3-player to put on the nano. so i think i'll just buy the normal ipod, which is also more robust.

Trybless said...

I know you have talked alot of deep things of which many that I agree with, Like that you listen to pachelbel;s Canon in D. That is some good and classy music

Girl next door said...

@ adrian,
definitely go for the ipod! There are so many choices and they come out with something new every year.

@ future diplomat,
glad we see eye to eye on some things. I like most kinds of music (except country--but I confess a few songs are sawa).

walk said...

i still havent jumped on the ipod bandwagon, i dont know what am waiting for, but your taste in music every interesting you know this blogging thing is really changing my views on kenyans,or is its just the bloggers bloggers.its good to read of other kenyans who think and live within and without 'the box' its just refreshing. as for those expats in kenya the sooner they do it the sonner we can go back home and lets home the expat salaries dont go with the expartriates coz many a kenyans abroad are more qualified than them.

Anonymous said...

Is it me or are you getting more mellow with time?

Girl next door said...

@ Joe,
Mp3 players are sawa--whoever came up with the idea was brilliant. I bet if you get one you'll be hooked! As for those expat. jobs, many Kenyans would be happy to get them.

@ Aco,
Maybe I'm getting mellow coz I'm getting older( ha ha) , but stay tuned for some hot topics ahead: )