Monday, March 20, 2006

Our Actions and Anti-War Protests

People need to start taking responsibility for their actions! Isn't it funny how we are all so quick to point out problems that other people cause without taking the blame for what we do? Of course, this depends on the situation. But I think the principle applies to a wide range of situations: from government leaders and CEOs who remix numbers during financial audits knowing they've just screwed their workers out of a pension, the person taking the order at my favorite Indian restaurant, a lazy ex-roomie who would drink my mango juice and eat another roomie's food, that classmate that copies all your homework answers without asking why and how--then fails the exam, an ex who stands you up and doesn't call right away because they 'misplaced your number,' a miserly former landlady aka S. the bitch who was too cheap to get professional workmen to fix a sink and ceiling leaks on property worth over $0.5 million until she was given an ultimatum, vengeful relatives that promise to take care of somebody's child only to make them suffer and ration their money although it's needed for school fees and personal items, ...and yes, you and me.

It takes real strength of character to admit that you've screwed up, and it happens to the best of us. It could be harmless, but there are times when it will make all the difference in the world.

This past Saturday (18th), multiple protests on the War on Terror/WMDs took place and I got to work a little late coz of traffic. Many streets were shut down, obviously some violence and arrests. Civil disobedience in action! The Police dept, fire dept, and CHP were all working together--they have a tough job. Although they share the same views, a lot of city residents trying to get places were pissed off at the methods the crowd used coz of the inconveniences. I remember being part of a protest march a few years ago in a smaller city. After seeing a movie one weekend (Deliver Us from Eva), we got out and ran into a crowd with huge placards. We talked to somebody and they asked if we wanted to join and our reply was "Sure!" Got to try everything once =) We each got a candle and joined the procession down the street. It ended on a plaza where people made speeches. It was interesting to see the mix of people: hippies with long hair and tie-dyed shirts, mothers with kids, older pot-bellied men, the young tatooed punk-rock crew, some Waspy types, students, and curious people leaving the mall. Shortly a rock band hit the stage with an angry sounding song; all I remember is that it dissed Dick Cheney. It was a peaceful march--but the cops were close by. I don't remember who said that "in a war, there are no winners or losers...everybody suffers." How true and, ultimately, tragic.

7 comments:

Milonare said...

Woi Blogger ate my comment...

I'm trying to imagine a slogan-chanting, placard-bearing GND dissing Dick Cheney LOLOL

I think it is the height of arrogance to refuse to admit that one is wrong... Worse still to refuse to entertain the thought that one could be wrong...

Ati who drank your mango juice? If it were me, angeitapaika papo hapo, max'mum speed, min'mum delay!!

Milonare said...

Oops - angeitapika

walk said...

you must be in califonia,the last bastion of protests.yeap! your right we all need to take personal responsibility for our actions

Girl next door said...

@ Milonare,
too bad I don't have any pictures of myself at the protest--but I didn't look too threatening! Being part of a crowd gives you courage to express yourself.
That ex-roomie who drank my juice was one of those people who'd lived at home their whole lives being catered to 24/7. When I publish my autobiography, I'll have a chapter on "People I have lived with."

@ Joe,
I strongly believe in free speech and even though protesting may not always change events--it's a way to express your views.

Anonymous said...

I takes a person of intergrity to own up to their mistake and of those they are few.People would rather pass the buck ad infinitum..

WM said...

Look, if your room-mate is an axe-murderer, o.k., you can work around that. If he or she defrauds orphans and little old widows, well, we've all got to make a living. But stealing your mango juice? Is this person still alive. Personally, this is where I draw the line!!!
Seriously and all, I agree absolutely--although I would say that perhaps it is difficult to say precisely what one's responsibility is--at least for me. I'm never sure how much I should take on my shoulders and how much I should put in the "live to fight another day" column. Anyway, lovely post, and I had really dropped in only to say thank you for coming by chez moi and contributing as thoughtfully as you did. Blog on.

Girl next door said...

@ Acolyte,
Integrity is to be respected; too bad that most people think it's a sign of weakness to own up.

@ WM,
I had other issues with the roomie, but the juice was the last straw! That's why they became and EX-roommate. When it comes to responsibility, it's possible to take on a lot of burdens thinking "I'm the only person who can take care of this."( I've heard this referred to as the Messiah syndrome.") And that's true @ times. But I think we all get pushed to the limit coz other people won't do their part.