Friday, December 22, 2006

Electronics and Shiny Things

I don't understand the benefits of switching to beta blogger so I'm sticking to the old one for now.

I am not a techie kind of person although I operate various electronics and mechanical items daily. When I mention that I want to buy something, say a digital cam. or a comp. I get lots of helpful tips from my technically minded friends but some things just go over my head. Brand names I can remember, but when people start quoting lots of numbers and letters, like 300HZ or EP827GB....that's it! Which is why I was feeling overwhelmed at the electronics store last week when I went to buy something for my Dad. Some salespeople are so unhelpful as they hurriedly point out the items. And when people are working on commission, they may recommend extra things you may not need. I don't begrudge anyone their commission; in fact, if I'm going to buy something I'd like the workers to get a portion of the funds. If they can take the time to explain why such an item will be a great addition to my life, I'll be convinced to buy it. Luckily, a buddy of mine works at the store so I tracked her down to break things down for me, and point out the good deals. I was glad with the final choice. While I was there, I spotted some big screen tvs that are just to die for. Although I am a simple person, with (mostly) simple tastes, I would love to own one of those massive screens.

But I'll settle for any kind of diamond jewelry: ring or earrings....isn't that what Christmas is about? Fantasy? Shiny things? Christmas spirit is seriously lacking around here. From the various rants I've read in the blogosphere, I'm in good company!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It takes time to get to know electronics so dont be ashamed. I am still not as comp savvy as I would like to be, it is a constant learning process.
As for gifts, dont look to this broke brother!

Girl next door said...

@Acolyte,
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't know what the latest models are and how they work. I have a lot to learn. The whole gift thing is just a fantasy, I'm rather broke too.

Anonymous said...

Next time they start talking techie, just say "In English, please?" :-) . A good salesperson is supposed to ask "what features are you interested in?" and model their presentation on your interests. Pole.

egm said...

Like you, I am sticking to kawa blogger. Beta has yet to give me reason to move.

Ah, shiny things. Zebo is just the place to indulge on this fantasy.

Girl next door said...

Erickarn,
thanks for the tips. If they don't explain it well, I don't buy it.

@Egm,
I skia some people lost their posts. I'll check out Zebo.

VoIP Services Los Angeles said...

Pretty great post. I simply stumbled upon your weblog and wished to say that I've really enjoyed browsing your blog posts.