Monday, July 03, 2006

The Show and How to Give a Compliment

Passed by a street festival this past weekend, and the sights took me back many years to The Show in Nairobi. Anyone who's ever been knows all the excitement and fun involved with it: food, ice-cream, rides, balloons, music, exhibitions, stalls with vendors selling all kinds of things, wearing paper/plastic visors to shield your face from the sun, watching the marching band perform, the crowds, and the speeches from important govt. people. Got the chance to attend shows in other smaller towns when we moved out of the city. When I was in school in shagz, we got the day off to go to town coz the Prezo would be opening it that day which equals free entrance and a day off (major excitement). This also meant that the school would get some money donated, the headmistress informed us with a beaming face. It was fun, except I got caught up in the middle of the crowd when the gates were opened and there was a major stampede to enter. From that day on, I avoid being in the center of crowds in any public area. Some people had so much fun that they came to school late and got in trouble. Oh well, what do they expect when they suddenly let teenagers loose from the restrictions and tightly-regulated routines?

I got a compliment at work recently when this man said I was very diplomatic and I must get that from my dad.
"Thanks!" I replied, thinking I learned this from both peroz and from being a middle child. And I've made the following observation: at work, the women usually ask questions about my mom and the men ask about my dad. Funny, huh? I'm always glad to get a compliment on their behalf.
If you ever have a compliment to give, you should say it directly to the person because so many people don't realize nice things about themselves coz they never hear them. There are times you're trying so hard and you think nobody noticed it, then out of the blue you get a commendation for it. It's a wonderful feeling. Please go out and pay somebody a genuine compliment today!

8 comments:

Archer said...

Oh yes...the Nairobi Show. Back when it was the annual highlight of a Kenyan kid's life. I remember doing a computer presentation for fmr Prezy Moi back in '96. He shook my hand & patted me on the head! "I think I have seen a gombyuta like this one in State House" he said. Definitely one of the highlights of my life.

Girl next door said...

@ Archer,
Lucky you, you actually got to shake his hand! When I was a kid, I desperately wanted to be one of the girls giving the Prezo flowers.

Anonymous said...

@ GND
I think nothing beats a good compliment!
@ archer
Despite all that went wrong during his reign, I think that Moi was most probably a very engaging person.I wouldnt mind meeting him too!

Girl next door said...

@ Acolyte,
It's the best way to brighten somebody's day.

Barsawad said...

Yes, the shows! This takes me too, a very long way back! When Kenya was still so peaceful, organised and had very few crimes! We didn't realise how good it was, then!

Now, we are treated to an almost daily series of one scandal after another: MPs approving high salaries and bonuses for themseleves, billions being looted from the state by those supposedly entrusted, incredible stories of 'Armenians' etc.!

I do miss those old days and the SHOWS!

Girl next door said...

@ Omar,
so many memories of those days when we were young and innocent...scandals in politics are the order of the day.

Anonymous said...

Great memories of the Nairobi show. Went there a couple of years ago to try and relive the great, dusty, cotton candy filled days... got a free shoeshine instead from the kiwi stand.

Compliments just like great genes seem to skip generations and so your kids will likely enjoy the benefits of you having had such great qualities girl. Revel in the legacy that you are creating!

Girl next door said...

@ Surambaya,
Sometimes it's a letdown to go back and find things so different. I remember polishing my shoes and my dad's with kiwi. I'm priviledged to inherit many qualities from peroz and grandperoz, but I don't plan to have kids so I'll never know what they could be.