Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Be Careful What you Wish For...

It May Just Come True!

The past few days, I was feeling both physically and mentally sluggish. I'm glad that I feel better now. Here's a quick confession: I was looking at all the sick time I've accumulated at work and thinking "I wish I could use that up and just take off somewhere." Then I came to realize that if I was sick enough to stay away from work, I probably wouldn't feel like doing anything else.

My summer class started today. As I walked across campus, I smiled because 9 months ago I was there, wishing I could be one of the students with a backpack slung across my shoulder rushing to my next class. My wish came true! Of course, there are still other challenges but the major things are going according to plan. After some time in the working world, I saw for myself that a higher level of education was very necessary to move on to better things. It's one of those things that peroz said all the time, but having my own experience made it more real. Well, this class I'm taking is only 1 unit, but it's going to take a lot of work coz it's over in 5 weeks. The teacher seems alright, she was telling us all the assignments required and everyone seemed overwhelmed. We even have to do a group presentation--as a rule, I don't like group activities, I'd rather do the work my way in my own time--but most of the people seem motivated.

Now, going off on a tangent, I saw a couple of odd things on a menu today. I was standing on a corner outside a Vietnamese restaurant and spotted 'Snake Soup' and among the sides 'Raw egg.' I tried to take a picture with my phone for evidence but the words were too small. How hungry would one be to eat any of these? I don't want to know....

8 comments:

Girl in the Meadow said...

I know your title of the post say much. When you wish something, it better be good. I have wished for many things that were brought to me eventually and bad things which happened instantaneously. I wonder why good things take long.

And raw eggs, no. Snake soup.,hapana

Milonare said...

Sup GND

How I wish I was a student again! When u set your mind on something somehow everything seems to work towards you getting it (to badly paraphrase someone - LOL)

Yai mbichi? Thufu ya nyoka? Hata even if it was famine na drought ya Somalia its bilas for me, bilas!!!

Nakeel said...

OOh gal am soo proud of you and having your wish come true. Even me I have mine and hope soon it will come to happen.

Are you serious about the nyoka sufu we wacha

Girl next door said...

@ Shiroh,
You're so right, it takes forever for the good things to happen. The bad things can happen all the time. There are even some drinks with raw eggs mixed in, yuck!

@ Milonare,
Wassup! You could join me shuleni anytime =) It's great when things are working out; I'm grateful coz it's taken a lot of sacrifice for me to get here. With all the foods to eat, I wonder how they came up with these.

@ Nakeel,
Asante! All the best to you. There are times when things just have to work out. I'm so serious, I had to blink when I saw it. Next time, I'm going to enter and ask nyoka gani... so disgusting.

Stunuh Jay said...

You know when you're so hungry things you detest eating taste like Mana from heaven! Or even better Ambrosia... the God's food! But you go girl, enjoy College Life, it's totally surreal

Girl next door said...

@ Stunuh,
Hunger can drive you to extremes, but raw eggs and any reptile is a bit much! Thanks, I'll enjoy college life for sure.

POTASH said...

You have never seen someone meza a raw egg...it is supposed to be a mythical cure for chest infections. My uncle used to crack eggs and swallow them, so I tried it once...yiekssss!

Girl next door said...

@ Potash,
for real! I can only imagine...Swallowing a raw egg would empty my stomach very quickly. It's kinda funny but a lot of cultures associate eggs with healing properties.