Sunday, July 16, 2006

Beginning or End?

Sunday: debated as either the beginning or the end of the week.
Some go to church, like one lady I bumped into on the elevator wearing a suit and cheerfully throwing a "God Bless You!" my way. I don't live in a religious city so it's uncommon to have a random person say 'God' or 'Jesus' in conversation. I'm often surrounded by people into Buddhism. Also haven't been to church in at least a year; a major life change coz I spent years living in very religious communities.
Others are recovering from hangovers.
Some of us shuffle into Starbucks at an unholy hour to get a caffeine fix before work. I don't want to get deep into that. It's interesting to see and hear different reactions when I tell people I'm back in school. Most are encouraging. I hear a number of the older people say they wish they had a chance to go back, but now it's too late. (I disagree about it being too late...) But life's circumstances can lead you down that path. Parents sacrifice resources for their kids. Others ask me why? Everyone has certain ambitions, could be getting a GED or PhD; banking six-figures or, hell, anything; being CEO or even landing a job in a prestigious company; becoming a parent and/or making a great marriage match; owning a beautiful home, getting published, a Pulitzer, a Nobel, etc...There are broad definitions for 'making it.' Does it ever end? Say, you're aiming to be a manager in your department and, boom! you are, won't you start looking at for the next thing up? Or are you complacent? Like most people, I'm dealing with both internal and external pressure to progress forward. And I was in my dream house last weekend for a hang-out: it was spacious, sparkling, new appliances, 2 floors, winding staircase, big kitchen, fab views... I even took a picture in the bathroom (marble, anyone?) I'd fit in perfectly!


P.S. I believe Sunday is the beginning of the week.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You can start the week when ever you want... I call it freedom.

Anonymous said...

Ambitions and dreams are great to have. Like someone once said, the hunt is sweeeter than the kill. Its in the pursuit of our ambitions that we grow and develop and its in the anticipation of achieving them that we find utmost satisfaction.

As Theodore Roosevelt would otherwise put it: it's the man in the arena who would rather die trying than not try at all, that ends up savoring the greatness of a life fully lived.

Anonymous said...

In swahili Sunday is neither the last or fisrt day of the week. It is the second.

Girl next door said...

@ dating woman,
I like freedom!
@ anon #1,
dreams give me the inspiration to hang on when things are rough. The least I can do is try.
@ anon #2,
I didn't know that!