Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Glimpses of home

I always talk about the beauty of Kenya, and specifically the rolling countryside where I spent most of my life. So, here's some proof that it's not a desert! I didn't take these pictures, so I have to give credit to the brilliant and skilled photographer J. who I had the honor of meeting while I was home.



Waking up to this beautiful sight is practically a daily occurrence. The opposite of the miserable weather I have to deal with right now.




The road home...which was supposed to be tarmacked about 10+ years ago. It's probably a good thing it remained this way. I was once riding in the back of a pick-up truck along this road and almost fell off! It can be a bumpy ride.




Now, here's a great reason to go for a nature walk!

10 comments:

Adrian said...

the second pic with the road, now that's home for me. love it!

supposed to have been tarmacked since the early 90s? tell me about it...

but i'm told THIS is the year the road to our shagz will be tarmacked...

egm said...

Thanks for sharing. Beautiful pics!

Quintessence said...

nyamie photos...what I would give to walk barefoot on that road...ta for sharing!

Anonymous said...

@Adrian,
Ah...Nostalgia.

Election years are full of promises about roads, schools, and whatever. Unless the prezo or a couple of key people come from the area, tarmac is a dream. Then again, if they can't be maintained perhaps it's better to stick to murram.

@Egm,
Glad you enjoy them.

@Quintessence,
I used to take it all for granted till I moved away.

Chatterly said...

Those pics are beautiful!

Unknown said...

I love nature the third photo with the plants and flowers is very intrigueing

Anonymous said...

@Chatterly and Kirima,
They're amazing and real! If I was a painter, there'd be some pretty scenery to paint in that area.

Princess said...

Lovely photos!!!!

The road to my shagz was also supposed to be tarmacked way back when..who knows if and when it will actually occur.

Anonymous said...

@Princess,
There seems to be a similar story for most roads in Kenya. Promises in election years that are soon forgotten.

Stephen A. Bess said...

Nice photos. Funny, part of me want the road to be paved and part of doesn't. I'm just thinking of the rural community that I grew up in North Carolina. My grandmothers church is down this long dirt road. It's so beautiful and nostalgic whenever I visit. A paved road to that church would take something away from it. Anyway, the photos are lovely. Peace~