Monday, February 19, 2007

Gifts and 5 Things

I am a weird person.
I don't like getting gifts unless they're from blood relatives or very close friends. Why? Because, then I feel like I owe the person something. I hate that feeling. And there are always strings attached. Very few people have the heart to give you something just for the sake of it. Especially if it's a guy. Am I too cynical? Or did I get converted to the individualistic, self-sufficient American way of thinking? The polite thing to say when somebody gives you a gift or a compliment is "Thank you." But what if you don't feel comfortable with the gift or don't believe the compliment? Is it rude to say so? But then, I'd have to launch into lengthy explanations which may not even make sense to anyone. Feelings and beliefs aren't always logical, but they can still be valid.

5 things that irritate/piss me off:
1. Hanging out with somebody who's constantly yapping on their cellphone endlessly on non-urgent calls.
2. Being put on hold for a long time while being forced to listen to bad music or commercials. And automated voice systems.
3. When a person states "That job is so easy!" yet they've never had any experience or in-depth knowledge of that line of work.
4. Married people or parents who think that life is so simple for those of us who aren't. While I realize there are heavy responsibilities when you're attached to another human for life, it's not like the rest of us don't have responsibilities. In addition to this, parents who take over the entire sidewalk with strollers in a busy area. Can't they go to the park or something? Just get out of my way.
5. Bad coffee.

P.S. There's Kenyatta Day and Moi Day. Will there be Kibaki day? Just wondering....

15 comments:

Chatterly said...

LOL u r not cynical, its true-some pple give gifts to get gifts, some are so petty, if they give you a 10$ gift they expect a 10$ gift as well:-( which is why i rarely give/receive gifts! if i were to start listing things that piss me off...i would cram your blog :-) but i also think hanging out with a cellphone addict is just gggrrrrrr°

Unyc said...

About giving gifts, i agree with chatterly that some do so to receive. Personally i love giving gifts n i dont expect any from my recipient. U gv from ur heart with no intentions or ulterior motives. Its like bdays...just bcoz ur friend dint gv u a present doesnt mean u shld not give them.
"Give and it will come back 2 u, good measure...." a song n Bible verse says so.

As for things that piss me off...pple who use others for their own happiness n selfish gains. Washindwe!!

egm said...

Ah, gifts. There are some I have told not to give me any gifts at all. Because I know they will pester me about giving them gifts. And I don't like that. So my gift giving is limited to those I know are not of this nature.

Quintessence said...

HA HA..she looks like a cynic she acts like a cynic she is a cynic - purely from a soon to recover cynic to another!
OH my the cell phone things IRKS me to pieces...etiquette should apply!

Klara said...

It's always good 2 give without expectin anythin in return!
On Kibaki Day! I wish it's born..I love Public Hols

Acolyte said...

I dont like getting lots of gifts too coz they come with strings attached in some cases and in other cases ppl just dont get me what I want or need.
The cell phone thing tees me off too.
I hate being on hold too.
And yes married people need to know that we singles have problems and challenges too, we dont sit around clubbing and having a good time!

Girl next door said...

@Chatterly,
Oh yeah, I know about those petty people who keep score of everything. It's such b.s. And it's so rude when people wanna know exactly how much you spent on a gift. They should just take it and shut up! Even though guys say it's chics that yap on cellphones endlessly, I know a number of guys who do it too.

@Unyc,
I like your view on gifts, they should be given from the heart.

Using people for selfish gains is so messed up. But some people don't seem to have a conscience.

@Egm,
Gifts should be pleasant surprises, not a forced thing.

@Quintessence,
Glad I've got company!
Cellphones are abused too much.

@Klara,
Giving without expectations is a great aspiration. That should be the whole point of a gift.
Public holidays are great when they fall on a weekday so you get a long weekend!

@Acolyte,
Some people have the talent of picking the right gift, others probably pick whatever they like--though it's the spirit and though that matters.
Phones come with many issues.
There's a misconception that single life is partying 24/7 with no worries--which is far from reality for most of us.

Princess said...

I totally agree with everything on your list!! I don't know why some people cannot just turn off their phones occasionally!!! I cannot stand being put on hold or having to speak to some automated person..it bites!! I wanted to move my electric bill to my new place and ended up doing it through the automated system...it was a test of my patience.

Juju said...

it's been a while, howdy! on being kept on hold... well, I hang up... and with everything online, I try and figure out things without having to call customer service. I really cannot stand the phone.

I love giving gifts, but don't care whether I receive or not.

Unknown said...

I wish someone could invent a gadget that would put the person who put you on hold on hold as well, the conversation would go like this
Receivers PhonePlease hold for your caller ****
after 5 minute of bad music
Callers Phone:Please hold for the caller you put on holder
the phone now plays linkin parks numb
That outght to teach them

Girl next door said...

@Princess,
Serious phone etiquette is needed. There's no way to avoid those automated systems.

@Majonzi,
Hey, thanks for dropping by. Going online is a great alternative. You get like 20 options before you can talk to a person.

@Kirima,
That would be a great invention!

Savvy Dreamer said...

LOL... girl don't feel bad... you rnt the only one that feels that way.

Girl next door said...

@Nahjaj,
glad I'm not alone!

Ichiena said...

I cannot stand being put on hold. I usually hang up and call again later. (Yes, i ran off just before patience was dished out).

About gifts - I love giving. There's nothing that can replace the pure joy on the recipient's face and heart. If you can, give. Then give even more.

Girl next door said...

@Ichiena,
Hanging up is a good strategy.... Giving whole-heartedly is gives you an amazing feeling!