Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Rain and Hair-raising Adventures

I'm sick of the fucking rain! It just won't stop. I don't even want to hear the word 'spring.' When I move from here, I'm going someplace hot and sunny. A desert or an island, perhaps? I don't like carrying an umbrella but I'm forced to. It doesn't always help because the wind will blow sideways and you'll be left soaking wet. And did I mention that I just got my hair done a few days ago? As in, I endured about 2 hours of a painful attack on my sensitive scalp: the mission was to scrub it clean, condition, detangle, straighten, trim, and style it. Those who have gone through this can empathize. If only there was some kind of anesthetic that could be applied to the scalp before you're subjected to extreme heat! I know a chic who would pop a pain pill before getting her hair done. Yes, it can be that painful. I enjoy the shampoo part: leaning back over the sink as warm water and yummy smelling stuff is massaged into your scalp is so relaxing. As long as the stylist doesn't use his/her inch-long nails to dig into your follicles, it's all good. When it's time to press the hair, I try to sit still because I don't want that hot steel comb to leave any scars on me. Of course, I know the stylist is skilled and can do wonders (which is why I keep going back), but I get nervous if their cell-phone rings and they pick it up. I chant various mantras and keep saying to myself, "it will be over soon!" In the end, it looks fabulous. Mission accomplished! But it takes some upkeep, like avoiding water for some days. That's why I usually opt for a low maintenance, all-weather proof hairdo that I can do myself. So, damn that rain!

Talking of hairstylists, I really like the chic who styled mine. And her hair looks great. Usually, when you like somebody's work, you keep going back. Even though I've lived in this area for a while, I can't commit to just one stylist. What does that say about me? Commitment-phobic? Maybe. I started out with stylist #1 who is probably the best of them all. Doesn't talk much but delivers. Works in a posh salon in an upscale neighborhood, and that was reflected in the price. And I had to get an appointment way in advance. Some things are worth it though. One time I needed a last-minute appointment coz I was leaving town for a function. Nothing was available with s#1, so entered s#2. Stylist #2 works in a JC Penney's salon in a mall. The location was convenient and I could go shopping at Target on the same day. S#2 was pleasant and patient--I once showed up with half my hair still in twists and extremely tangled. She tackled the job well. But I felt as though I was cheating on s#1. But I rationalized that I needed a plan b if the original one wasn't available. I went back to s#1, but was shocked at a sudden jump in price. Now, I believe in investing in myself, but I have other priorities. I don't get paid for the way I look so it's not that deep! I met s#3 by random chance. Her salon had an exhibit at a city festival so I got the card and called. S#3 is friendly, and I can get an appointment anytime. I like the vibe at the salon, lively and laid-back. Haven't seen s#1 or s#2 in ages and I don't feel guilty anymore. I still keep their numbers coz you never know when you'll need a back-up!

3 comments:

Bee said...

The whole time I was in the states my stylist was a white man!! Imagine! The first day I walked in the salon I was like ahh do you have any stylists in today? And he was like yes... me..? I agreed to let him do my hair coz he was quite cheap and no other salons were free. It turned out to be a match in heaven, my hair thrived under his care and I really do miss him :)

Girl next door said...

@Kenyangal,
That's surprising, but if he had the skills that's all that matters!

Girl next door said...

@ Instigator,
you're not missing anything! I usually sport an afro myself, but every once in a while when I want straight hair--I have to go through that process.