Sunday, April 02, 2006

DST and The Fountain of Youth

Daylight Savings Time is one of those things I still don't get. The reason has been explained to me about 100 times--something to do with farmers, blah, blah, blah. All I care about is how it affects my sleep. In the fall, it's great coz you get an extra hour, but in the spring you miss an hour. I just got a new work schedule so I had to wake up while it was still dark outside. Had a few hours of light sleep coz I was scared I'd oversleep and the next thing my phone would ring and they'd ask, "where are you?" Thankfully, I got there on time. Now, I have to try and change my sleeping pattern coz my circadian rhythm is out of whack!

One of the questions I get a lot is "how old are you?" Thing is, I look younger than my age--and while this youth-obsessed culture would consider that a compliment--I don't always. I've noticed some people tend to talk down and patronise, questioning my opinion at every turn, and giving lots of unsolicited advice without knowing all the facts. What makes you such an expert on my life? That is why I wouldn't date a man that was too much older than me. There's a scene in Crash when the black lady is on the phone with the racist cop and he gets pissed off and demands to speak to her boss. And she says, "I am my own boss!" It just cracks me up and drives a point across that you need to deal with the face in front of you. I may not meet the profile in your mind, but I will not go the extra mile for unreasonable arrogant assholes. Feel free to complain to the boss or whoever, that's why you get surveys. But it will be clear who's behaving badly.

Leafing through classifieds for jobs in Kenya, I see age requirements. It pisses me off! I understand the need for work experience in certain fields, but do I need to be some middle-aged person to show that I'm responsible? While I believe in giving respect where it's due, it's plain to see Kenyan society pushes the youth to the sidelines. How many times do people say "you're too young to know or understand." Perhaps. But sometimes, all you need is a chance to learn and use your talents. That is why many young people leave home--for that one chance coz it can lead to greater things. It gives me such a rush to hear the ideas that young Kenyans have, and the things they're doing coz it proves that we have the potential to be a powerful demographic: our collective talents, intellect, and innovation can be a force for change. Are we destined to repeat the cycle that has gone on for decades? Is our way of life in the blood? Will we just grow into old cynics clinging to the last dregs of power when we realize we can't change the system? Do all victims eventually turn into perpetrators?

Shows like "10 yrs younger" are a hit, plastic surgery and botox, chemical peels and laser skin treatments, are no longer a celebrity domain. I'm not against any of these things; on the contrary, I'm rather fascinated. From Nip/Tuck to Dr. 90210 to real live people I know who gone 'under the knife,' I'm fascinated by the gruesome details. I'm one of the few people I know that wants to look older. Maybe I'll change my mind in 10 or 20 years. Probably not. I barely used to wear make-up, but after a couple of months on the job I dragged myself to Sephora. I heard about it from my older sis (who has taught me so much). I used to get intimidated about entering some stores coz bitchy salespeople give you this once-over look trying to figure if you're a browser or a buyer. These days, I don't care much: I like trying new lotions and a splash of that new Italian scent, but I don't have to buy it today (sneak glance at price tag), or ever. Anyway, I walked into the store, didn't know where to start till a helpful person came along. I told them what I was looking for and was directed to one of the pros. Imagine the smile on my face when I discovered the make-up artist was a Kenyan chic! She understood my skin color and tone and showed my some fab products and how to use them. I trusted her opinion on what to buy @ Sephora and what to get at a drugstore. It must have been fate coz I've never seen her at that store again. Weeks later, this gay white dude helped me pick a great lipstick, Nars 'Congo Red.' (Did anyone else out there ever wear Irene lipstick? That green stuff that turns red and sticks on your lips forever? No offense to any fans, it doesn't work on everyone. Guys, if it gets on your clothes, that's it!) But it's all got to come off before bed if you want to maintain healthy youthful skin.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey gal!Dont let ppl despise you for your youth as the good book says!Youth is fleeting so enjoy it even though there are those who will hate you or patronise you for it!I wish I had someone's lips to stain my clothes with that lipstick!

Girl next door said...

@ Acolyte,
I won't let them get me down! As for the lipstick stains, I'm sure there are some willing candidates, ama?

Adrian said...

the thing that i love most about DST in spring is the fact that the days "become longer". there's nothing i hate more than darkness at 4.30 pm!

Girl next door said...

@ Adrian,
Longer daylight hours are nice. Gone are the days of telling time by looking out the window.

Milonare said...

Be glad that you look younger than you actually are. Tis a gift...

The problem is when people say you behave younger than you are, that there becomes a probi..

Hata Milo looks younger than his mingi years - asi - LOL

And dont dismiss us oldies... Pia sisi tuna utamu wetu LOLOLOL

Girl next door said...

@ Milonare,
I'll try to appreciate my youthful looks. I don't want to turn around and be too judgemental in dismissing the 'oldies', but most of the older guys I meet tend to patronize and be bossy. If a guy is closer to my parents' age than mine, he's out. Come on, you can't be that old! And if you were, ni sawa tu coz you seem like a chilled guy!

Girl next door said...

Has anyone read "The Picture of Dorian Gray" by Oscar Wilde? I think it's a cool book addressing the issue of eternal youth.

Anonymous said...

Havent read the book but loved the TCM movie. One of my favs!!!!

*Milo gets excited at being described as chilled*

LOL

Girl next door said...

@ Milo,
I haven't seen the movie yet. If it's one of your faves, then you and I are on the same page =)