Friday, April 28, 2006

Leavin' on a jet plane

One of my closest friends is leaving the country and going back home. I am going to miss her a lot. We've been through a lot together: from high school years to college in a foreign country. Being roommates in college was such a fun experience! At first, I worried that we'd fight and the tensions would ruin the relationship. However, it worked out great, we complemented each other very well. One of the things I miss most are the late night talks that began in high school: the lights were out, everyone was comfortable in pjs and tucked into bed, and the vibe was flowing. No topic was sacred: crushes/boyfriends, anal teachers, our health, politics, NASA, sciencific research, secret cultural practices, religion, world travel, and home. I'm happy for her because it means she's closer to realizing her dreams, but I'm sad for myself because it feels like my world won't be such a friendly place after all. Once in a while, when someone close to me undergoes a major change, I get the feeling that I'm being left behind. One of the hard things about getting older is realizing that a certain phase of your life is over: you get to keep the memories and the odd picture or two. You realize that everyone has a different calling and that can lead you in different directions, geographically and otherwise.

I bought a ticket to visit my buddy and say goodbye, but I just found out she'll leave sooner than planned so I won't see her at all. How messed up is that? A minor detail: I have a nonrefundable ticket. So I'm going anyway! It's alright coz I'll get to visit other buddies in that area and I could use a getaway. So, I will also be leavin' on a jet plane....

2 comments:

Trybless said...

dear, hope all is well, there is nothing like a good friend

Girl next door said...

@ future diplomat,
that's right! I really value mine.