Thursday, April 27, 2006

The Half-naked man in my room

There's a happy half-naked man in my room. And that thought puts a smile on my face...

Now, get your mind out of the gutter! This is a holy man.
It is my very own Laughing Buddha!
He sits on my dresser in all his glorious golden stature, half covered in a burgundy cloth, in front of the scented candle.
He was a special gift from someone really close to me. The first time I saw him was about 3 years ago in summer camp (it was intense but also fun!). We were there for the volunteer staff orientation and we were going round a circle sharing something personal. One lady, the camp founder, shared her Laughing Buddha with us. I couldn't get him off my mind, so I wanted one of my own. It always lifts my spirits to look at his joyful face-- a very powerful symbol=)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have one too that I bought in Kenya and I brought him all the way here with me!

Girl next door said...

That's cool! We do have a few things in common.

Girl next door said...

I meant a lot of things in common!

Stunuh Jay said...

I've always wanted a laughing Buddha, but I want him as a gift. For some reasont that's the only way I want him.

Girl next door said...

@ Stunuh,
it's a cool gift, just start hinting to people around you!