Tuesday, April 25, 2006

The Devil's Footpath

Just read an article on a Kenyan named June Akinyi Arunga in The Nation. It was fascinating: it talked about her work and numerous achievements (very impressive). The main idea that hit a chord with me is 'presenting the real image of Africa to the world.' It is tragic that the mere mention of our continent brings up so much negativity. The only positive comments I usually get about Kenya concerns our runners and the wildlife in game parks. I'm very proud of both, but I often say to people I meet that there is so much more! Anyhow, June Arunga has been involved in making some documentaries about our continent. I'd like to watch The Devil's Footpath.

I've been reading up various articles on economics, public policy, and international aid to African countries and I'd like to quote Paul D. Wolfowitz (current president of the World Bank), said during his time @ Johns Hopkins University " Pouring more foreign aid where the policies are wrong only reinforces bad policies." Hmm....that's an idea! If only it could be put into practice....

4 comments:

Girl in the Meadow said...

Yeah it was an inspiration to many of us.

Anonymous said...

June is actually a blogger and KBW member. Her blog is called Uhuru ni haki and I think she also contributes to African Bullets & Honey.

Girl next door said...

That's cool, I'll check out her blog!

Pro Libertate said...

I met June in person. She is brilliant, inspired, a great speaker, an entrepreneur and also very, very attractive! We spent almost a week together at a conference and we were always hanging out. I consider those days as a cherished memory.