Sunday, March 25, 2007

Sleep, The Undead, and The Dead

What's the longest you've gone without sleep? The Guinness world record holder is Randy Gardner who stayed awake for 11 days without any stimulants. It's unbelievable, no coffee? no drugs? for over a week? Amazing what the human body can survive. I value my sleep so when I don't get enough I have to make it up. On my days off one of my ideal activities is sleeping. For at least 8 hrs +. When I have to stay awake too long I start to feel like a zombie. And can't think straight.

Talking of zombies, I'm watching SouthPark all the way from season 1. Just saw the episode on "Pink-eye" when it's Halloween and there's the pink-eye epidemic---everyone who catches it goes around biting and attacking people (sounds like rabies) and Chef says they're the undead so they go to the morgue to find out the answers. I'm mildly curious about the 'undead'. I read "Dracula" a while back but haven't watched the movie. Don't care to either.

Last week we had a guest speaker in one of my classes who's a retired General from the Marines. He was one of the top guys during the Gulf War of 1990/91 and successfully led his division in defeating the Iraqi army and taking control of Kuwait. He was talking about casualties and said that before they set out, he was issed 8,000 body bags for his division of 20,000 marines (I don't recall the exact numbers). He talked about a lot of other things including the current war/occupation but the body bags issue just stayed on my mind. Bloody, brutal images were flashing through my mind and I felt a great sense of tragedy. To think of the soldiers who know they could be returning home in those body bags is a sad, empty feeling. What's going on in their minds? And while death is so final, surviving can be a harrowing experience according to the revelations from Walter Reed and personal accounts. The Buddhist teaching sums everything by stating: "Life is suffering."

14 comments:

Unknown said...

I also need 8 hrs sleep and even after that it takes 2 cups of coffe to get me up to speed. War and Death just creep me out especially when it is so unnecessary as in the US/Iraq occupation.

Anonymous said...

I too love my sleep 8 hours plus, I have a pal who when anything affects her she doesnt sleep; she has gone for a week plus at times. My life could be on fire and I would still sleep; in fact I would sleep even longer! I dont watch South park, too low brow for me.
I think when you go to war one of the first things you consider as a soldier is that you arent ensured survival.

Klara said...

Am surprised someone can do that! I mean kowsa sleep 4 a week plus! Wow!
I go 4 8+ plus n yet I still curse when da alarm goes off!!
"Life is suffering" Indeed that statement is all true!!

Mwanawakenya said...

go for 11 days without sleep? there must be a mistake. i can sleep anywhere anytime if i feel like it, even on a cold floor

Anonymous said...

That story was too shocking, like they expect you to lose half your squadron in one battle, yikes!

Sleep is an annoying interruption for me - i wish i could turn it off but if i do not get about 4 - 5 hours i get cranky.

Nakeel said...

I adore my 8 hours and can stretch to 10 if not well checked.

War I pray of the day we will never hear there are people fighting.

Erick said...

Try 33 years without sleep! Guess it's not official until it's on the Guinness Book of Records.

egm said...

I have to get my sleep on. Night to night it's not consistent how many hours I sleep, but overall I try for an average of 7 to 8 hours.

War is indeed a brutal affair. Unfortunately man being the way he is, this is one thing we might never be without.

Girl next door said...

@Kirima,
don't remember who said that there are no winners in war. Everyone involved suffers.

@Acolyte,
A whole week bila sleep? Emotions and thoughts are powerful. I believe in taking sleeping pills when necessary.

Not a SouthPark fan? you're missin' out =)

@Klara,
I need multiple alarms to wake me up!

I find that a lot of Buddhist principles make so much sense.

@Mwanawakenya,
It's hard to imagine the guy did it without any stimulants.

@Aegeus,
I'd hate to be the one making decisions that can result in so many deaths.

I envy you a little coz you must have more productive days...but sleep is so pleasurable.

@Nakeel,
8-10 hrs is ideal!

Humans seem determined to destroy each other for multiple reasons.

@Erick,
I just read the article, it's amazing! He should have the record.

@Egm,
Wars never end--and the horrifying things that happen are tragic. Even those who aren't directly involved will suffer.

Quintessence said...

My sleeping habits seem rather discombobulated…I’ve learned to go without sleep for long periods of time esp. after I turned 30…ppl tell me its not normal but on a good week I can get at least 15 hours of sleep…this doesn’t affect my energy level I guess coz after I decided that sleep wasn’t on my side I still go to bed at the same time and just lay there resting…no thoughts no tossing and turning (too tiresome)

South park CRACKS ME UP man!!!

Life is suffering, hmmmmm I like that…it tells volumes…

Girl next door said...

@Quintessence,
15hrs a week doesn't affect your energy level? Guess your body's used to it.

Yay, a fellow SouthPark fan!

Buddhist beliefs make so much sense.

Juju said...

Its 3am, and I am wide awake... I have to be up at 6. I don't sleep much, for the past two years, I am lucky if I sleep for 4hrs. I have tried everything, well, save therapy, but nothing puts me to sleep. My mind is too hyper... it can't settle, so no sleep.

One of my buddy's bro got back from Iraq 3months ago, he hasn't left his room since. Sometimes they hear cries of anguish from his room... . Another friend was in the war in Ethiopia... she cannot sleep with the lights off, even though it has been 7yrs, and she cannot sleep in a room by herself..... . War is not a natural thing for humans..... .

Girl next door said...

@Majonzi,
wonder if naps would help you re-energize. Some things don't work on most--like drinking milk. I prefer stronger substances.

It's rough for anyone who survives such traumatic events. Classic Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

Anonymous said...

I went without sleep for six months due to a state of trauma. Everybody thought I was going to die but I had strong faith in God and He pulled me through. Normally it is not possible. It is an honest truth.

Kathy