Sunday, October 08, 2006

Wretched

2 nights ago, I had a hard time going to sleep. I was physically exhausted but my mind just wouldn't take a break. And of course, I had to be up very early the next day for work. I made it there and got through a hectic day fueled by large amounts of caffeine, sugar, adrenalin, and youthful energy. It was a long, long day....Fast forward to the end, was supposed to meet up with someone to go to a live music show, but they 'forgot' to tell me that they weren't going to make it till an hour and a half before the show. I was too tired to be pissed at that moment, and was actually relieved that I could spend my evening at home. But also irritated with the last minute message. It's slightly better than being stood up at when you've dressed up and left the house, but come on, if you are in city A that's a day's drive from city B (the venue), of course you're not going to make it to the damn show! I want people to value and respect my time.

I am currently reading "The Wretched Of The Earth" by Frantz Fanon (recommended by who else but my history teacher:). I'm still in the first Chapter 'On Violence' and I'm so excited by the reading. Sartre has penned a powerful preface. It is such an exhilarating feeling to see these thoughts, observations, and experiences put into powerful words. I'm wondering why I never read this book before. I strongly recommend it to everybody out there.

3 comments:

Girl in the Meadow said...

Pole, that looks like a long day. How is that book? The wretched of the earth?

I have waited for people for same periods of time and my patience is running out daily.

Quintessence said...

i like you will simply refuse to tolerate tardiness...been looking for a great book to read...i'll try your recommendation...

Girl next door said...

@ Shiroh,
I made up for lost sleep that night. This book is great! It's quite deep; addressing issues facing decolonized people and conflicts with the colonizers. It is so relevant to the situation in most developing countries.

@ Quintessence,
The least someone can do is call and let you know. Let me know how the book turns out; it has very powerful ideas.