Monday, October 02, 2006

Brains

My brain was fried today.
It started out with an exam with 138 questions. All multiple choice. I'm one of those students that dives into the exam and leaves the class as soon as possible. I've learned that my first instinct is usually the right one, and if I don't know the answers, sitting around agonizing over them won't help. Next was history class, which is the most enjoyable (usually). Today, I left class with a headache. You know how there's always 1 or 2 people who always have something to say in class? Well, there's one girl who was dominating the discussion. Irritating voice, repeats the same thing over and over again. Well, what's the point in complaining? I guess the rest of us can speak up if we want to. I'm not a big talker in big classes, but if it's a small group I'm more comfortable sharing my views. The bright spot in the day was seeing the teacher (my crush on him is wearing off...). As soon as class was over I headed home for a good meal, Tylenol, and much needed rest (avg. sleeping time over the weekend was maybe 8-10 hrs? I get very grouchy without quality sleep.)

Tomorrow, there's a paper due in my policy class. It's supposed to focus on policies and advocate a position but all it does is focus on general background information with only one paragraph devoted to policy. First of all, it's a group paper but one dude wrote the bulk of it. The rest of us did some editing and additions but the dude doesn't listen to most of the suggestions. I got tired of people talking about what should be done, so last week I did some research and typed in a lot of good information. But my info is missing from the final paper. This idea of writing group papers was a bad idea. We'd better not get a bad grade. Anyway, we're going to meet early afternoon for a final edit of the paper. I have worked in many groups and teams and realized that every person is just watching out for themselves. You have to deal with egos and most people feel like they're the most brainy. In the next phase of my life, I'm thinking about getting into something where I can do my work solo 'cause it's tiring dealing with people and their idiosyncrancies.

9 comments:

Nakeel said...

Gal pole sana about the exams and u better score some flying colors.
I hate doing something in a group thing for there will never reach a point where everyone will agree but those who feel they know more will be dissing your hardwrok and that I cant take it.

Nakeel said...

All the best in the remaining papers.

egm said...

Pole for the headache. It seems like it was doing its round jana, cause I left work with a number working on my own head.

A policy paper, eh? My bro is doing a masters in public policy, so he gets to do lots of those position papers you wrote about.

Quintessence said...

Man, like you I cannot stand the group effort think and there's always a slacker who gets the underserved grade...wusaaaaaah...I guess in retrospect it prepares one for working as a team...and what do they say again...there's no I in team...

Anonymous said...

I hate group work with a passion!There is always some lazy sod and some other bastard who thinks they know it all and wont let anyone do anything!
As for papers I got my first test back and let's just say my results were nothing to write home about, now I have to drop a course I was taking for fun so that I can have more time to focus on masomo.Who said school was easy?
ps:Why is there always someone during the meeting or discussion who cant shut the hell up?

Princess said...

Group projects suck!! There is always someone in class who likes to hear themselves speak!!

Girl next door said...

@ Nakeel,
Asante, group work is hard coz there's always conflict. We need all the luck we can get!

@ Egm,
Hope your headache resolved, wonder if there's something about Mondays...
This is the first policy class I've ever taken. It's quite fascinating.

@ Quintessence,
Sounds like we've had similar experiences! Some people in the group just talk about what should be done, but never actually go ahead and do it. When you're forced to be in a group/team, I think you have to do something to distinguish yourself from the others.

@ Acolyte,
it's usually one extreme or another. I'm rarely impressed with people who chatter nonstop like they're the only ones with something intelligent to share. School is hard but somehow it has to be done.

@ Princess,
I feel you! People who go on nonstop must be trying to prove they know-it-all, but when their views are one dimensional, they only succeed in irritating everyone.

Girl in the Meadow said...

That sounds like a busy day. 138 questions. God Jesus. Tell us more about the crush on your teacher or did i miss something.

Girl next door said...

@ Shiroh,
Thank God we have 3hrs to finish that test. My crush on the teacher has been ongoing (and hopeless!). Not only is he fine, but very intelligent and personable. I've mentioned him in some of my past posts.