Monday, October 23, 2006

Same Old Story

Had a fun weekend. Ate great food in my new 'hood. I'm one of those people who rarely tries something new unless it's recommended by a friend. If I eat out, I'd rather go somewhere familiar where I know exactly what to expect. Call me boring if you like but I prefer predictability and stability. Hmm, why do I sound like one of the Controllers in Brave New World? Anyway, if someone else comes up with a new idea, I'll try it.

I ran into a Kenyan buddy on campus and we chatted over coffee. I like the feeling of knowing somebody when I go somewhere so I don't feel so lost. I even met a Kenyan lady over there on Friday. I spotted her wearing a beautiful kitenge and complimented her on it then introduced myself. Funny how you can usually identify your own people. There are times when people fail to identify where I'm from and I get somewhat offended.

My history/ethnic studies class had a very heated debate today on hate crimes and racism. It's great to discuss these sensitive issues that are often brushed aside in day-to-day interaction although they affect our world. Knowing that other people are dealing with similar challenges validates my feelings and I've realized how some well-meaning white people are ignorant about the issues the rest of us face. Hell, ignorance also exists among the non-white/'minority' group. Let me just say for the record that I strongly dislike the term 'minority' for its minimizing, demeaning connotations. Anyway, there are times people see or hear something happening and think "it has nothing to do with me" but wasn't it MLK Jr. who said "An injustice anywhere is an injustice everywhere"? Although we should not delude ourselves with a Messiah complex of saving the world, we do need to be aware of what goes on and to speak up whenever we can. If you hear somebody say something mean or ignorant, call them out on it. There are times I just ask "What do you have against that group of people?" Some people are in positions to exert a lot of influence, others are just in 'survival' mode trying to hold their own shit together. I think that sometimes the most we can do is to challenge our own beliefs and biases and be aware of how that affects our interaction with others so we aren't guilty of the same crimes as the oppressors. This applies to racism, tribalism, gender-based stereotypes, ethnocentrism, and just about any of those -isms.

On the political front, Obama is the golden child of U.S. politics. With good reasons too. The Kenyan leaders who had the balls to criticize his University of Nairobi speech risked alienating a powerful ally who articulated what the Kenyan people have been saying for years. He refused to smear his dignity from the low blows thrown his way by our disgruntled leadership. Isn't it funny how we are so quick to claim him as one of our own when his star is rising, yet neglect the important facts that are right in front of our eyes? He is an American citizen, lawyer, and politician fathered by a Kenyan man. He speaks the truth in stating we should stop waiting to be rescued by the West because they're only watching out for their own interests. A brief look at history should teach us that lesson. Oh well, new day, same old story.

11 comments:

Princess said...

Your history/ethnics class sounds awesome!!

3N said...

I fear that Obama might be the hot thing for now and then he miscalculates and runs for president in 2008 and not only loses but dents his bright political career.

America has a way of using and abandoning and I hope that is not the current love affair with Obama.

And remember that Obama is promoting a book hence his availability to the media.

egm said...

Like you, when it comes to food, I am highly predictable. Once I find something I like at a particular restaurant, that's all I'll eat, and it will take all the power in heaven to make me change my mind.

Your class definitely sounds very interesting. I was talking to this friend of mine who says one time he had to slap some sense into a white friend of his who was throwing the N word liberally thinking it was the cool thing to do. He says the thing that hurt him most was his other black friends who saw nothing wrong with that, and were even laughing at the jokes from the guy.

The whole issue of pointing things out is important, because as you say, some people might just not know. A colleague at work was making references to something that touched negatively on the religious beliefs of another colleague without realising it, and a third person pointed this out to him, stating that he was probably insulting the second guy. The man stopped doing this, now the wiser as to the impact of his words.

Girl next door said...

@ Princess,
It's my fave class!

@3n,
The media does have a way of building up then tearing down people. I think Obama has staying power in the long run even if he never makes it to the Oval Office. All this speculation about him running for the presidency is rather premature in my opinion. We'll see what happens next. I plan to read his new book.

@ Egm,
It's great knowing where to find a great meal everytime.

The class is very enlightening because we discuss real issues that affect all of us today and trace their relevance/ties to historical events. It takes courage to speak up like your friend and work colleague did.

eddiie said...

i do believe that that-ism comes as a result of ourselves...i mean the black race.

We tend to take the western world as the beginning and end of everything..and so who are they not to take that advantage....

Once you show your minority to someone, its a free ticket to being undermind for your entire life...

We shall fast and pray for that -ism thing to stop but we have to know that what is built in the mind cannot die unless the holder of that mind dies...

But we keep movin`..its this world.We are better off now...

Girl next door said...

@ Eddie,
I guess you're referring to the idea of mental slavery and how some of us internalize negative ideas and images of ourselves. I find Frantz Fanon's ideas on decolonization and violence very illuminating.

Anonymous said...

Franz Fanon should be required reading for every human being, lol.

How the political elite in power were quick to respond with fire to Obama's pronouncements just shows how much our leadership is unwilling to be accountable for it's mistakes or to seek long-term solutions.

Quintessence said...

"I think that sometimes the most we can do is to challenge our own beliefs and biases and be aware of how that affects our interaction with others so we aren't guilty of the same crimes as the oppressors."

Totally agree with you on that notion...i think that's why i love to travel..expose others to my culture and especially learn more about others...

Girl next door said...

@ Makanga,
I agree with you about Fanon.
You're right on about the lack of accountability. They want to attack the messenger and ignore the message.

@ Quintessence,
Travelling is a great way to get exposed to a variety of cultures and learn things about yourself!

Anonymous said...

Nice comments goin on here! I do agree that it is good to be able to identify your own peeps.
I do agree tha there is alot of ignorance out there, some of it is well meant and some isnt but it is ignorance none the less. I do think that some people have perceptions they are totally unwilling to change no matter what they see or hear.
I think Obama needs to chart his route very carefully as there are many landmines on it.

Girl next door said...

@ Acolyte,
Thanks for joining the discussion! You're right about some people's perceptions never changing despite being exposed. All eyes are on Obama as he navigates his way through the treacherous waters of politics. I'm cheering for him.