Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Packing... and Private Lives

The past weekend has been filled with the hassle of moving. You don't realize how much stuff you have until you try to pack it all up. My books were the heaviest things and took up the most space. We threw out a lot of things and gave away others. Also took stuff to Goodwill. If only there was an affordable way to send things to Kenya....I used to be amazed at how people in the States would throw away everything (including working electronics) but now I understand. Most times, moving or storing stuff costs more than the value of the items. When it comes to electronics, there's always something new so if you hang onto things, they become obsolete. The main thing I want is a house of my own where I can keep my crap in forever and ever. I'm going to make it happen. Meanwhile, just dealing with daily challenges.

Funny how when you need help, the people you least expect come through for you. I'd rather have 1 or 2 friends I trust completely rather than a crowd that only hangs around during good times. One of my close friends lives in my new 'hood so we'll be hanging out more often.

Overheard today on campus (one guy to his friend):"I don't find her repulsive, I'm just not attracted to her." How would you tell someone that you're not into them? Is there a polite way to do it or do you just ignore them and hope they figure it out? I recently bumped into a guy I had a huge crush on 2 years ago. Whatever I used to see in him isn't there anymore. He used to be much cuter.

And why exactly is the public concerned about Condoleeza Rice's love life? I've heard some jokes on tv about her. Women (esp. unmarried ones) are always subject to scrutiny of their love lives. Kwa nini? Take another public figure, e.g. Dick Cheney. His hunting escapades have been a source of entertainment for everyone. Yet, you never hear anything about his wife. (Does he have one? I don't know) The only woman connected to him that we hear about is his lesbian daughter. Society should let women keep their private lives away from the public.

7 comments:

egm said...

I can relate to you big time! Books take up the most space for me as well, and are usually the heaviest. When you move, that's when it hits you how much stuff you really have.

Friends come in handy, and if they are ones you trust fully, then you've hit a gold mine. I had one such friend come through for me in a big way just yesterday.

Chenney does have a wife. It's the whole celebrity mystique yet again. I guess if something is going on so well for someone who is prominent in the public eye, there will always be those out to ferret for something negative to pin to the individual. Their belief being, these people can't be perfect (which is true), and so there must be something to paint them negatively. If they do slip up, then by all means go ahead and point this out. But until that happens, don't try digging for stuff just for the sake of doing it!

Anonymous said...

Like I posted once, I have done the moving thing quite a few times and I still never fail to be surprised by how much junk we can accumulate!
The sad thing is that as soon as you send things abroad a large customs bill is attached.
I think there are several ways to tell someone you are not interested esp if things havent began moving at a fast pace.I love the good old "I have just come out of a long relationship and I am not looking for anything right now" In that way it isnt about the other person being inadeuquate and it seems like a window has been left open for the future.
I think in the states single men and women aren't allowed privacy in terms of their love lives.In the states the backlash for single women isnt as bad as it is in Africa at least.But as long as you are in the limelight your life is fair game, male or female.

Princess said...

Like you and egm I have way too many books, and I am completely attached to all of them. Last time I moved I actually went through them and donated a few to the library and it was really hard to do that. My friends NEVER come through for me when I am moving which is why I refer to them as acquaintances.

@Acolyte...telling someone that you are not interested b'cuz you are just coming out of a serious relationship is my favorite. However, I have learned from experience that honesty is the best policy b'cuz some guys end up hoping that if they hang around you will recobver from said heartbreak and date them so I just tell them that it won't work out and give them reasons.

Girl next door said...

@ Egm,
Now that I have my books up on the shelf, it was worth all the trouble moving them.
So, Cheney has a wife. Well, she's lucky that she's not mentioned when his name comes up.

@ Acolyte,
This country is focused on "stuff" and you can't avoid accumulating it. But it's liberating to get rid of it and realize you can live without it. I believe in simplicity.
Coming out of a long relationship sounds like a good way to tell somebody to back off.
So true that there's a stigma to being single (esp. at home).

@ Princess,
It's hard to let go of books. But it's good to know somebody will enjoy them. Buddies who don't come through when you need them aren't reliable. I've had some people say they can help but never follow through. I'm tired of empty talk.

Jadekitten said...

I've never really moved. You're wondering, HOW? Twenty somethin and I've never moved? I did a stint away from home, for a myriad of reasons I moved back. But we live on a huge expanse of land so, I have my digs, sepaprate from my mum's etc..... But even when I moved next door (LOL), my books and electronics were the most I had to contend with.

It's important to have a 'support network', as my pals n I say. BUT. They have t have proved themselves worthy. Rather have 4,5 close trustworthy pals than 25 hangers-on. You get the point....

Honesty is a great way to go. Dudes don't do it much though. They like 'keeping their options open'.

:-)

Girl next door said...

@ Jadekitten,
Lucky you! Moving is too stressful. It is great to have that network you trust completely. Oh yeah, I've heard that line of keeping options open. I don't think it's fair to keep someone waiting around if there's no hope. But when you're honest some won't believe you.

Adrian said...

i sooo feel you. moving tomorrow and taking a break from the packing. have to give/throw away quite a few things too since i'm moving to a smaller flat (disadvantages of going back to school...)