Thursday, April 10, 2008

5 Books

In between my studying, I've read a number of books. Some I penda, others are just for when you need fill your time.

1. The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini.
This is a must read for everyone! Beautifully written. Emotional. Powerful. The descriptions give such a vivid picture of what beauty Afghanistan had before the Soviets moved in and war broke out. And that scene that caused so much controversy when the film was released could just break your heart. I haven't seen the film.

2. The Illiad by Homer
I went to a play "Troy" that had lots of references to ancient Greek myths so I decided to read the book. Still not done. It's amazing how the same themes repeat themselves in history today with war and politics.

3. Sex and the Single Girl by Helen Gurley Brown.
Hard to believe this book was originally published in 1962. The themes are just as real today. And no, the book is entirely about sex. It also talks about work and has funny stories, decorating tips, and recipes. Ladies, read this one.

4. Grace (eventually): Thoughts on Faith by Anne Lamott
You don't have to be religious to appreciate this book. Spiritual awareness is enough to appreciate The writer is funny and doesn't preach at anyone. Just shares her experiences that make it easy for one to relate. Talks about motherhood, friends dying, her writing career, church, etc. Makes you realize that making mistakes is human and we don't have to be saints to be spiritual. I first heard her a few years ago at a book reading. So I bought one of her books and got it autographed.

5. An Ordinary Woman by Donna Hill
A newly married man has an affair with his wife's best friend. This book tells the story from everyone's point of view and shows just how complex things get. And hearing from "the other woman" is really refreshing 'cause she's always demonized--even though it takes two to have an affair. Great writing.

4 comments:

egm said...

I started the Illiad, and also have yet to finish it. I got it after watching Where Art Thou Brother, which while a comedy, is said to be based on Homer's Odyssey. And since that is a sequel, I had to start with Illiad.

Girl next door said...

Now I don't feel so bad for reading the book slowly. It's the kind of book with many layers and so many interesting characters that you don't want to miss a thing. I haven't watched "Where Art Thou Brother."

Half n Half said...

I also finally read Kite runner great writer. have posted a review of his next book in Bookwroms!
Haven't been here in a minute! you okay?

Girl next door said...

@ Half'n half,
I'd love to read your review! I'm doing sawa. Haven't been blogging much though. Thanks for stopping by.