Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Sad Beginning for Kenya

This is a sad time for Kenya with all the post-election violence going on. It seems so unreal that these things are going on in our home. I am very grateful that my parents are doing fine. It is so hard to imagine that the small community where we live is no longer a peaceful haven: people's homes have been burned down, there are roadblocks everywhere and gangs are terrorizing innocent citizens. Communities are being ripped apart and word from home is the death toll is higher than what is being reported in the western media. I've been tuned in to NPR and their BBC broadcasts. My prayers go out to my fellow Kenyans regardless of tribe and political affiliation. And yet, let not all the work and sacrifice by those on the ground be for nothing. We have come so far as a country--Kenyan citizens have evolved into a higher consciousness and demand that their voices be heard loud and clear. We have come too far to go back and undo the gains we have made as a country and as a people. After all, Kenya is home

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is indeed sad what is happening to our Country. Kenya is the only country we have and it is a shame what we are doing to it.

Anonymous said...

we pray for peace. sad way to begin a year. hoping that a speedy resolution shall be reached.

Girl next door said...

@Kirima and Aegeus,
Thanks for your comments. Hope you and your families remain safe through these turbulent times.

egm said...

I joiny you in praying for peace.

Anonymous said...

I totally feel you on the topic. I posted pictures on my site and trust me, the are horific. I am also glad that its somewhat cooled down back home but please lets continue praying hard. We are a long way from peace. Nice blog btw..

Girl next door said...

@Egm & Miss E,
Thanks for your comments and compliment. I'll check out the pics.

Cante said...

As am writing I can to some extent say that the temperatures are somewhat cooled down in Kenya at the moment.
Any way onto more brighter 'beginnings',we await for more stuff: pleasant and smile-bringing(if there's such a word).
Keep SMILING!!!.....

Girl next door said...

@Cante,
thanks for your comments.

innocent uni gal said...

just startd reading ua blog n I really do luv it!!! am glad that our beautiful country has recovered tho whenever anythn happens in politics every1 remembers the elections that were hell.

-blessed holy socks, the non-perishable-zealot said...

Grrr. Git some followers, girl --- Dunno if anyone's ever told you this, but you're quite attractive to me and even more so in Heaven where I'll have to, like, shield my eyes; I can see the true beauty underneath when the transitory world looks for the superficial. Truer words were never spoken. Why would you have any doubt when I'd die-for-you in an instant if you were the adorable girl of my dreams? So, meet me beyond the clouds, miss gorgeous, and we'll have total gobs of fun at my party-hardy celebrating our resurrection. Kissing your adorable feet is a must, girl. God bless you.