Saturday, June 02, 2007

Wishes

"Be careful what you wish for, it just might come true!"
--By ?

1) In a state of restlessness, I craved change--I'm now experiencing lots of new things in most aspects of my life.
2) I wanted to spend my summer away from my area of residence--I landed a summer gig in a different state.
3) I wanted a job with benefits that I could use for myself and extend to my siblings--My summer gig has excellent perks that I can enjoy and share.
4) During the winter, I cussed at the cold and swore the next place place I lived would be hot---Now I'm in a state known for its record highs in summer (aren't they all?0. But it probably won't be as bad as my first summer in this country. A number of people said, "You must be used to this 'cause it's like Aahfrica." Hell no! I tried to enlighten them that my home wasn't the Sahara but lush green highlands.
5) I was feeling a bit isolated and wanted to be closer to people from home--I met a first cousin who lives in this area and he's totally cool! And tonight, I just met a former schoolmate from the first high school I went to. There are also family friends in the area (who I like!). The area is also big enough that you don't run into people unless you plan to.


Wishes can be a double-edged sword 'cause you get what you want and more. It's an incredible feeling when you don't expect much but you get something amazing--it helps you persevere through the bumpy parts of the road.

10 comments:

Quintessence said...

Glad your wishes came true. Enjoy your summer, stay out of trouble and keep out of the heat. Is your gig in TX???
My goodness that Aahfrika comment used to irk me to bits!

Girl next door said...

@Quintessence,
Thanx. Yes I'm in TX.

There are too many generalizations!Even hearing the way Africa is pronounced by most irritates me.

egm said...

Ditto on the Aahfrika comment. I tell people Nairobi is far from the coast which has weather comparable to that found here in the summer. When I tell them it's too hot and humid for me, they look at me funny.

Good to hear things are going great for you!

Half 'n' half said...

(((((((hug)))))) good things happening to you! and am not even jealous! Enjoy my dear

Klara said...

LOL!
Though am glad they came true, I still hope mine will eventually..

Unknown said...

Good for you. It is definately nice when we get what we wish.

Anonymous said...

Glad you got what you wished for..its always a lovely change from the disappointments that life can dish out.

Girl next door said...

@Egm,
This whole "Africa" generalization is often inaccurate! Thanks.

@Half'n'half,
Thanks=)

@Klara,
I'm sure yours will also come true!

@Kirima,
It's great to see wishes turn to reality.

@Aegeus,
It's wonderful to have positive things happen coz it helps you put up with all the other b.s.

W. said...

I find the worst thing about TX weather is not so much the heat but the humidity, aki you step outside and start sweating. enjoy the summer!

Girl next door said...

@Wambui,
I'm experiencing the humidity full force; on the bright side, it's supposedly good for the skin!