Sunday, June 10, 2007

Another Lazy Sunday

I have sketchy internet access and an old comp that keeps going off now and then so I haven't been spending as much time online.

I'm dying to get my hands a really good book! Haven't been to a library since I moved. There is a bookstore near my place, but I cannot justify buying a brand new book that I'll never read again when I can get a deal on Amazon.

I'm not exactly a tree-hugger but I've become so much more environmentally conscious in the past couple of years. I believe in recycling and reusing in order to minimize waste. Funny how such ideas that are touted as "progressive" over here are an everyday occurence at home. Those who don't have access to the latest and greatest goods have to learn to make things last. Here's a great example: people have been making and wearing akala for I don't know how long in Kenya. One day I was leafing through a magazine (can't remember which one) and saw an ad for shoes made from recycled tires. I bet they won't be cheap either.

I penda my new 'hood. Lots of things within walking distance. I like that kind of lifestyle. I don't understand how people can go out drinking and then drive distances to go home. Hopefully, there's a designated driver who doesn't drink. Went to a local pub last night to meet a friend of a friend. It's kind of weird when you're going to meet someone you've never seen before and you're trying to guess what they look like. Anyway, this buddy identified us right away and we had a good time hanging out. Now, it's to relax before the grueling work week ahead!

7 comments:

jm said...

good luck with jobo!!

Anonymous said...

LOL on the recycled tire shoes...aka akala.

enjoy the convenience of the digs. have a nice week.

Quintessence said...

tee hee...sitaki akala nataka platform!
Have fun discovery your new surroundings...I like convenience too and can presently walk to church, coffee shop, grocery store, choice of pubs, a bunch of restaurants...

Klara said...

LOL! Funny sana..
Lovely Week!

Girl next door said...

@Mwangi,
Thanks!

@Modoset,
These people think akala are a new exciting idea, but somebody already beat them to it. Asante.

@Quintessence,
Platforms are hot! You live in a great place too, it's great to have that convenience.

@Klara,
Thanks=)

Anonymous said...

preety interestin blogg..kept me engrossed for awhile cause jobo can sometime be a drag...im sure when u research you'll find tha dude whose "introducin"shoes from recycled tires knoew a kenyan at some point...hey just saw anotha interestin kenyan blogg xtremeurban.blogspot.com...preety cool!

Girl next door said...

@Illuminati,
thanks for the compliment! I haven't blogged lately but you're welcome to dig through the archives.