Friday, April 13, 2007

Get-Away II

Just returned from the mountains. What's the point of Spring Break if you don't have a change from routine? Sometimes, you need a change of scenery. Unlike a previous trip , this one was spontaneous.(I've been accused of not being spontaneous). I took part in activities I haven't done in a long time: hiking and biking. My muscles are still aching from one of the hikes we took: it wasn't that long, approx. 3 miles--but we were going up a steep rocky mountain. I thought I was fit coz walking is part of my daily activity, but this was on another level. There were lot of families there and we'd see some small kids going up with ease--that time you're thinking "how can a kid who's 5 or 6 yrs old handle this and I can't?"

We also biked down a rocky, unpaved mountain road with multiple twists and turns. There were several times I was sure I'd fly over the handlebars. Like lots of people out there, I have a fear of heights. Now and then I have morbid thoughts. I pictured myself being thrown off the rocky cliff and dying--then people would be asking what killed me. The answer amused me: "she was mountain biking." Well, it wasn't that extreme, I just have an active imagination. I have renewed respect for outdoorsy people who hike and bike on a regular basis. The food was tasty and healthy plus we had a campfire with s'mores of course! (S'mores are toasted marshmallows smooshed between chocolate and graham crackers--they're so sweet that 1 or 2 is enough for me.) Most of the travellers were the young international crowd which is fun to hang around. You learn about culture and other ways of life and compare them to your own. I'm impressed with the travelling culture that people from other countries have: of course finances and visas determine freedom of movement. Travel seems to be a rite of passage in parts of the world, so even people who aren't super-wealthy go places. I think it's an excellent idea.


Watching: The Original Kings of Comedy (one of the few dvds I own)

Listening to: Furahiday by Nonini feat. Nameless

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like fun! I also like the outdoors and hiking especially when with a group of people you are meeting for the first time.

egm said...

Hiking and biking... music to my ears :). I can't wait for the weather to finally decide what it wants and stay warm so I can do a lot of those two. You are right, hiking up steep slopes makes you use certain muscles you normally don't use in regular walking that could tire you quickly if not used to it.

I find s'mores too sweet, so none for me.

Klara said...

Outdoor activities can be great fun & refreshin.. I love hikin too!

Acolyte said...

Damn you! All that fun while some of us rot in the city!

Quintessence said...

Glad you had fun...I simply love the outdoors

Girl next door said...

@Kirima,
It's refreshing to be in nature. The crew you hang out with makes a difference!

@Egm,
Much respect to you! It takes a lot of energy and endurance to do both activities. My muscles ached for a couple of days since I don't hike or bike often.
S'mores are supersweet for sure.

@Klara,
Yeah, "refreshing" is the word--especially when you live in the cityo--it feels good to get away.

@Acolyte,
I had enough fun for both of us=)

@Quintessence,
It was a much needed break. Enjoyable!

Anonymous said...

Listening to Furahiday.... with you all the way!!! Original Kings is my very own... Cedric, was murder, geez, BernieMac... the whole 9...

The GetAway... That is my shyte/no_offense/ really... almost like a disappearing move..

~Like the blog so far~